1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Brand new Stihl KM 90 trimmer wont start!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Traktion, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Traktion

Traktion LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

I have a new Stihl KM 90 trimmer with less than 1 Hour on it that wont start. I noticed that it wasnt running at full power and accelerated slowly this weekend when trimming my property but i figured it just needed to be broken in. After about 20 minutes of use it felt like it started to misfire and then suddenly died and couldnt be restarted no matter what i did. Im using fresh 93 octane fuel properly mixed with Stihl oil. The air filter is clean.

Im thinking it s something ignition related like a coil but i wont be able to get it back to my dealer until next week. Any ideas or similiar issues? Thx
  2. mikeylikesit5805

mikeylikesit5805 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kent OH

I had the fs-90 with the same problem, Just like u i thought it needed broken in. Thats not the problem, take it back to the dealer and have them look at the fuel pick up tube in the tank. Thats what the dealer said was the problem with mine, it wasnt hooked up right.
  3. Traktion

Traktion LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I'll definately bring that up when I see my dealer.
  4. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

tell him to adjust the valves also.it may not need it but i have seen them drop a push rod from time to time with little or no run time on them
  5. rjxj

rjxj LawnSite Member

Check the plug. Sometimes a speck of carbon will get stuck in the plug if its gap is a little tight. Seen it a few times on new equipment. We set them to .030.
  6. Traktion

Traktion LawnSite Member

Stopped by my dealer today. The fuel pick up tube in the tank fell off in the tank so the carb was sucking air. He snapped it back on and its all good now. Thanks for the help guys.
  7. missileman

missileman LawnSite Member

I had exactly the same problem with the KM 90. When I took it back to the dealer, they replaced the tube with a new type stihl has and it won't come off. If it happens to yo again, ask your dealer for the new type fuel tube.