Brand New Stihl Kombi BG blower

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mtcjb, Jul 14, 2008.

1. mtcjb

mtcjb LawnSite Member

I am just getting started (got a great deal on an 07 JD 757 w 20 hrs and always kind of wanted to get in the business) and bought a brand new KM 110 Stihl Kombi Moter w trimmer, edger, and BG blower attatchments to get me started. I don't really plan on going over 10 yards this year because I cant quit my day job so I figured this would be the most economical start up on some fairly powerful equipment.

I got home Friday with my new toys and proceeded to try them out. I was beyond impressed with both the trimmer and the edger. The blower on the other hand was beyond dissapointing as no air whatsoever came out of the end. I could see the blades spinning through the intake but not sure if it was on a low speed or not grabbing right or what. I took it back to the dealer on Saturday who could not get it to work either, I did not hear back from them today so just wondering if any of you guys are familiar with this equipment or have heard of similar experiences. Any help/advice (other than trash it and buy something different) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    John

2. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

I have that same set up, I bet the blower is not seating deep enough on the powerhead socket. The way I get mine to seat is to hold the blower straight up in the air, insert it into the powerhead socket, and leave the wing nut loose, then start the motor, and idle it, and generally it drops down, and makes the connection. The problem was worse, when new, rarely happens now. If that's not it, its probably some sort of alignment problem in that same area.

3. mtcjb

mtcjb LawnSite Member

yeah, kinda what the dealer thought so bet this is the issue, would love to go out and try it but the dealer still has my unit. I would hope that they are working on a fix for this. Just curious if the blower met your expectations or if you would go with a backpack next time.

Thanks

4. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

The blower is actually more powerful than the Kawisaki unit that I had been using, also is lighter, and puts the force of the fan closer to the work being done. I just ran the kawisaki out of gas to prep it for storage, I think I am going to sell it this fall!:waving::waving:

5. mtcjb

mtcjb LawnSite Member

thanks,

Been razzed a little bit by some friends in the business over this purchase, glad to get some positive feedback on the product.....whew

6. justin_time

justin_time LawnSite Member

Omg that blower attachement is so powerfull, I couldn't beleive my eyes.

I have purchased that blower attachement with nothing but positive results. I am in love with that blower attachement and I'm shooting myself because I should of bought it earlier. I've been blowing the sidewalk, lawns and leaves so far without a hassle since I don't have a backpack blower

7. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one. When they work right you'd be surprised how well the little thing can blow.

8. mowerknower

mowerknower LawnSite Senior Member

I got one when they first came out, I love the thing. I actually got rid of my echo hand held because it sucked compared to the stihl kombi. I only have a km90 I cant imagine how well it would work with a km 130

9. Yuanding

Yuanding LawnSite Member
    from England

I use it with both the Km55 and the KM130R. There is no comparison. Best thing about the KM130R is that you can stand at one end of a driveway and blow stuff all the way down it without even moving. And it sounds much nicer. The KM55 is good if you want to blow leaves off mulch or gravel and you don't want to inadvertently blow too hard. It will still blow hard but you have to take the revs right up and it feels gutless down the bottom end.