Brand new to business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by chrisf, Oct 3, 2005.

1. chrisf

chrisf LawnSite Member

My husband has suggested I start a landscaping business, he is a builder and can give me 5 single family homes in the next few months to plant, then in the spring another project.
    I have no experience, other then owning a successful business, which I sold, that has no relation to landscaping.
    I know I need equipment, employees, and customers. I have been in sales and marketing forever which should help me.
    I'd like to give it a shot, but would like to know what I'm up against, and what direction I should take. Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

what about the years of knowledge in landscaping you need to run a landscaping business......

3. chrisf

chrisf LawnSite Member

I'm aware I'm lacking the years in the business, but is there any hope for me?

4. daveintoledo

there is so much more to landscaping then just lawn mowing, you would need to take some college horticulture classes....or find what information is taught and get the books and learn yourself.

Best way is to go and work for a landscaper for a couple of years, very hard back breaking work

5. FiremanDud

FiremanDud LawnSite Member

I think there is depending on what your going to offer. Basic service(mow, trim, edge, and blow and hedge timming) or are you refering to landscape design and planting. If your just doing the basic service then there's hope. If your doing the landscaping then you better do some research in that area. I don't know a lot about plants and landscaping but it doesn't take a masters degree to offer the basic's services.

6. daveintoledo

i think she is refering to landscaping, not mowing, designing and installation of new homes....

7. FiremanDud

FiremanDud LawnSite Member

Well then she really needs to do her homework!

8. chrisf

chrisf LawnSite Member

The jobs my husband would give me are the actual install. But all the plants, shrubs are outlined in the plans, just a matter of purchasing and planting.
    Then the idea would be to go into maintenance. My mother would also advise, she is very knowledgable in flowers, shrubs, etc, her grandfather owned a very successful business in the St. Louis area back in the day.
    I feel I have an opportunity, but don't know if it's worth it or not.
    thanks!

9. daveintoledo

id go there and ask some questions, there are some very successful and talented people there, some of them are female... sheshovel comes to mind.... ask her for some advice....

10. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

start reading, that's it. read, read, read.