Brand new to the business.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RSMedic1, Feb 13, 2001.

1. RSMedic1

RSMedic1 LawnSite Member

I am just starting my lawn care business and
    have been reading the threads for a couple
    of weeks. I have learned alot. I am looking
    at purchasing a new Exmark 20hp 48inch with the
    ultra vac system for $7198.00 plus tax. Is this
    a good deal and a good mower?

2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome aboard RSMedic1! I can't really give you an answer on the price but eXmarks get nothing but praise here. They seem to be one of the more preferred units but there are also alot of others being used that are good also. I just know they get good revues. Good luck with your new business!

Randy

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

That sounds like a good price to me. You probably can't go wrong with that.

4. I suggest you go and buy a used walkbehind with a stand on sulky first.

Then when you realize how tough this biz and go back to your day job you won't have a $7500+ toy in the garage.

5. Dillon

Dillon LawnSite Member

I suggest you don't listen to the guy above and go for it. If I listen to all of the negitive things said to me when I started I wouldn't be successful today.

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I would assume you still have a full time
    or that money is not a problem.If not I
    WOULD THINK BEFORE I JUMPED.But then again
    you probably already have.One thing, take real
    good care of the exmark and if the water is not to your liking you can sell it pretty easy.

7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Stone, be nice.LOL I do agree though to not get in way over your head at first. Give it some time to make sure this is what you really want to do. It can be a tough biz. There is nothing wrong with buying used to start. A search on this subject should help also.Good luck.

8. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I think that is a pretty good buy on the Exmark, but you might want to consider a walkbehind, depending on sizes & types of properties you will be doing.At any rate, Good luck to you.

SJR

9. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

I would suggest a walkbehind to start, as well.

However, that thought should be contingent on your situation. You're just getting started, but have you a # of accounts already? If so, or if your targeting some specifics and are ready to get started on 'em, how big are they? How much do you need a rider right now?

You're off to a good start, my friend. If I had a couple weeks to read LawnSite before getting started (nearly seven years ago now!), I would've saved a lot of time and aggravation over the years.

And made a lot more bank. ;)

-TGC

10. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

I think you have to be a little nuts to spend over 7k for a lawnmower. You could get a 2 nice new exmark 48", gear driven walk behinds for less money. Its one thing if you had some commerical accounts with a 3 acre mowing area, but remember, walk before you run.