Brand New TORO Hydro, problems already

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Guardian, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Yesterday I picked up my new 3rd mower. It is a TORO hydro wb 36" with a 15hp Kohler. Minutes into my first job I notice that the right side will barely go in reverse. (pretty much just won't reverse at all)

Also, when I throttle down to around half, the pump sound aweful. It clacks and rattles loudly. Obviously, I will be taking it back, but does anyone have any idea whats going on?

Am I perinoid-does it just need to be adjusted?

I checked the fluid, it was a little low - I added - no difference.

On a second note - I haven't purchased a sulky yet. Any suggestions? I have only used jungle wheels in past, but now with a Hydro, I was thinking TRU TRAK.

2. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

don't know what is going on with the mower but i was thinki9ng about ordering a proslide, it isn't like anything i have ever seen you should check it out, http://www.novaecorp.com/frame.htm , really inovative, curently i am using a velke, but am planning on buying a proslide!:blob3:

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Take the mower back to the dealer. It sounds like it might have a bad wheel motor or pump on it.

4. Forget the Pro-Slide. Velke

Make sure they flush that hydro system out real well. If something broke, you will have metal flakes in your fluid and it wont come out by draining it.

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Could be air in the hydro system but I believe they are self bleeders. There are adjustments for the hydros to correspond with the weight of the deck you have. That power unit runs multiple decks. Could be a wheel motor too and the right thing to do is go back to the dealer.
    I have a Pro-Slide and it works great. Ya cant back up on a velke but you just step off the ProSLide andback away. Also less dinkin around with the slide. It's what works for me. Good Luck

6. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

That's normal, it's just not prepped properly.

1.) Make sure the pressure override valves (that allow you to move the machine with engine off) are tightened all the way. (or pressurize oil will flow over them.)

If that's not the problem:
    2.) It has air in the system which will works it's way out.

Common problems on brand-new hydros if they're not thoughly prepped. No big deal.

7. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

THANK YOU -Kent

...and others, but you know I was hoping for GOOD news!

I will run it more this weekend, and contact dealer if problem persist.

Even though its under warranty, I have still been worrying.

Thanks guys

8. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I had the exact same thing happen to me only i was on a new Z-Master as soon as i heard it i knew what it was, machine only had 2hrs on it, called my dealer he came an picked it up,new motor pump and wheel motor he gave me a loaner and mine was fixed in one day.... Marks Mowing Service

9. BRIAN FOLEY

BRIAN FOLEY LawnSite Member
    from ERIE,PA

I have the tru trak it is the best system made. try one out , Brian

10. toby

toby LawnSite Member
    from ontario

Guardian, just got the same mower as you & had similar problem. Had air in the system. Follow the procedure in the manual to purge.