Brand New; Want to Thank All Who Post!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by paulge, Jan 11, 2006.

1. paulge

paulge LawnSite Member

:)

I want to thank all who post here. I have been viewing this forum since the first of December. I was considering starting a new lawn care company and this site answered all my questions.

I decided to go out and sell the idea before I spent a dime on equipment. I printed and distributed over 1400 fliers, set up a display at the local full service car wash, printed custom Post-It notes to put on front doors, had awesome signs made for my truck and later for my equipment trailer, and ran an ad in the service directory of the local newspaper.

My parents live in a develpoment that provides lawn care service. I found out the residents were not happy with the service so I made some inquiries. Then I had a meeting with the banker who is the trustee for the property. I landed the account which consists of 53 houses and will end up after completion with 115. This also will be a 12 month contact and has great potential for add on service for each homeowner.

My phone has been ringing daily from people wanting quotes from leaves to pruning. Of the few leaf jobs I have done thus far all have asked me to come back in the Spring for their lawn service.

My equipment choices are Red Max edger, trimmer, and backpack blower; Little Wonder Vac; and my old Honda Harmony 21" push mower. I decided to go with the Little Wonder for the leaves. It was much cheaper than a mower and collection unit and it is AWESOME. At the end of the month I will take delivery of a Cub Cadet 48" Tank. All this rides on a 7x14 tandem axel open landscape trailer outfitted with TrimmerTrap racks. On the rear gate I have mounted a 6'x3' sign. ( logo attached ) I will be running Mobil 1 2T Racing 2 cycle oil in all my equipment.

I have said all of this to make a point. This is an AWESOME Forum. I believe I have made some good decisions based on the info I learned here. I have also been blessed to get an account the size on my parents development. I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason, so my finding this site was not a fluke.

Thanks again to all of you that post and to Sean for putting this site up. I hope I can be half as succesful as all of you.

Paul G. Eberhart

Attached Files:

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

sounds like you have things planned out well, you may have it covered already , but dont forget the insurance and proper licencing for your area...

3. paulge

paulge LawnSite Member

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. Already licensed, bonded, and insured. My goal is to raise the bar around here. I honestly believe quality and professionalism will win out every time.

Paul

4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

it can win out with some customers, some only care about price, and you could probably do with out those customers anyway...:drinkup:

5. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

Just starting out and 53 places to do with the potential for 115? That sounds like a heck of a start to me. Good work

6. paulge

paulge LawnSite Member

ooo,

Thanks for the kind reply. Yes, I have been lucky so far. I have a great deal of marketing experience and I think it is paying off. I have too many ideas too list, but if anyone wants to bat a few around I will be happy to give my two cents worth.

Paul

7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

What did you do to get the phones ringing off the hook!! Im sure im not the only one wanting to know!! Very good start, pretty soon youll be needing a bigger mower. Awsome!

8. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Paul lets hear some of the idea's. You said you got a lot of knowledge from us now it's time to share.

9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Sounds like you're off to a great start! Welcome and good luck :waving:

10. paulge

paulge LawnSite Member

Well, you asked for it!!!!!!!!

The 53 house neighborhood is comprised mostly of retired people. The lawn care is all done by an LCO. The trustee for the property wants a professional who will give somne attention to these folks. The way I look at it is I should be able to increase the revenue from this contract by at least 40% by just asking waht they need. I have written a letter of introduction to each resident introducing myself and offering them add-ons like: mulch, fertilizing, planting, weeding, pressure washing, garage organization and more. This is called "un-found money." The grass will be cut, why not schedule something else for an already happy customer.

I got my phone to ring by first putting out 1400 fliers. The small service directory ad reads " Leaf Removal Special" with phone number, simple!

The first dime I spent was for signs for my truck. I can't tell you how many trucks I see with no sign. Folks this is a business, let people know who you are.

A new car wash opened here a few months ago. I stopped by for wash and noticed a table in the lobby. I put a few business cards on the table. I stopped by a week later and the cards were gone. I asked the owner if I could put an 8x10 flier in a frame along with a business card holder. I am replacing the cards every week. I'm sure in another month that my phone will really ring.

If you notice my logo on the first post I am trying to be different. That is where the marketing comes in. Be different. Do things others won't do.

For example:

Custom Post-It notes on doors in tight neighborhoods

Fliers in mail boxes. If anyone wants to see my flier let me know and I will post it later.

Network. Talk to builders, construction guys, etc. I am giving an estimate Friday for one of the biggest builders in town. I am giving him a great price and he knows why. I want his commercal work and access to his developments.

Gotta go. Giving another estimate in 20 minutes.

Will continus later.

Paul