Brand New Yardman won't run!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by swan hunter, May 24, 2008.

1. swan hunter

swan hunter LawnSite Member

I just bought a Yardman/MTD Self Propelled mower with a 5.5 160cc Honda engine. Has the "auto" off choke. I got it from Amazon last fall so, returning it is out of the question...I am sure it is still under warranty but finding someone to work on it would be difficult around here.
    The problem...Last fall, I gassed and oiled it and started right off. Mowed about 10 minutes and shut it down. I filled the tank with Stabil treated gas and left it till last week.
    It isn't getting gas. It will start and run as long as I am spraying starting fluid in the intake. Without starting fluid, it will start and hit a few times 2 seconds maybe then die. Wait a few seconds and it will do exactly the same thing. I pulled the bowel off the carb and it had gas and the float works....
    Any suggestions?
    Mod 12A569Q755
    link to mower: http://www.amazon.com/Yard-Man-Honda-Self-Propelled-Mower-568Q/dp/B000CSW2QK

2. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes, the float sticks, and you have to remove the bowl to get it loose.

3. swan hunter

I pulled the bowl and the float seemed to be working just fine and there is a drain screw in the bottom of the bowl that runs gas freely when removed. I tapped on the outside of the bowl thinking it might be stuck also.

4. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

If this is a silly question, I apologize in advance. Does the mower have a fuel shut-off valve that you may have closed last year?

5. S DIAMOND

S DIAMOND LawnSite Member
    from South

If your set up has a fuel shut off, turn the fuel off and tip the mower up just enough to access the bottom of the carburetor. (Use universal precaution and disconnect the plug wire) If it doesn't, either drain the gas, or take a pair of small vise grips with rubber hose or tape on the jaws, and clamp the hose. Remove the bowl and and take a can of carburetor cleaner (with the red stick) and spray liberally into the emulsion tube. That is the center where the fuel is drawn into the throat or venturi of the carburetor. Your main jet is just before the main nozzle (emulsion tube) and if you notice, it is an extremely small opening. If there is a little residual trash or slight varnish, then the spray may push it out. Be careful and wear safety glasses.

This is the "cheapest" or the laziest way to do this without removing the carb and physically removing the jet. Perhaps you will be lucky. Good luck.:)

6. S DIAMOND

from South

Actually Larry, it's not, I see it all the time. Good point.:)

7. swan hunter

:weightlifter:I shot carb cleaner up the tube and now, it seems to run perfect as long as the choke is engaged...No smoke or rough running. Actually, it sounds just fine...I let it run about 3 minutes. I may try to mow some with it and see if it will work itself out. If not? Please don't say the carb has to come off!!!! There is a whole bunch of crap fastened to it!!!!:nono:

Thanks for the help so far....I wouldn't have figured to clean the carb on a new mower.

8. S DIAMOND

from South

Swan, good to hear its moving. The bottom line is, modern fuel is crap. (even though it cost so much :laugh:) depending where you live, the blend can be very different from just a state over. Always start with "new" fuel after a storage period just to be sure. Stabil is a fine way to store fresh fuel, but start new each season just in case. Fuel is blended differently from winter to summer, and its hard to tell what's at the pump anyway (water, trash, etc.)

On the flip side, it doesn't take much debris to clog the very small holes in the carburetor. A little varnish, or trash, that slips by can easily do this! Be careful when fueling to avoid this problem. Make sure your main storage fuel can is cleaned often.

9. swan hunter

Do you think the "only run while the choke is engaged" situation might work itself out on its own?

10. S DIAMOND

from South

Running with the choke is an indication that the cleaning was only partially effective. If you have enough clearance (short screw driver) you may be able to remove the jet without removing the carb.

You may try an additive like SEA FOAM in your fuel tank and see if that clears it up, but if its a piece of trash lodged in the nozzle and jet, it will not work.

You will need a cabinet screw driver with the proper tip. Cabinet screw driver is the round shaft type, not the hex. Follow the instructions as before in the previous post to start with.

Unscrew the main jet. Be careful as it is soft brass.

If you have not already, remove the air filter cover and filter.

With the jet removed, take a longer screw driver stick it into the carburetor through the throat (choke wide open) and gently push down on the emulsion tube. ( you will see the tube sticking up in the center of the carburetor as you look through the throat.) Take notice in the orientation of the nozzle.

With the items removed, clean them individually and spray into the open middle section of the carburetor body again.

On the face of the filter assembly where the carburetor is mounted. You should see a small hole (to the left, I believe) Spray some cleaner into that hole with the parts removed, as this is an air bleed. Don't forget eye protection!

Replace items you removed.

If this does not work, then YES, you will have to remove the carburetor and gaskets to properly do the job:cry: Actually, its not that bad. Good luck.:waving: