Brand new

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by one man gang, Mar 30, 2007.

1. one man gang

one man gang LawnSite Fanatic
    from N. In.

Should a brand spanking new Z mower have rusty washers,nuts and such? New means everything nice and shiny right?

2. chipk1

chipk1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Maybe dealer left outside for a while during the rain?

3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I have a couple dealers in my area that leave brand new equipment outside in the weather. There's no way I'd pay large sums of money for it though. So yes, there can be mowers with zero hours on them and have rust.

4. one man gang

from N. In.

It has a little over an hour on it. I picked up a brand new Sentar today(0 hours nice and shiny) but on the first strip a belt started to burn/fray so I took it back and the guy said I can have the other new one that came in or have the mechanic look at it in the morning. I told him I'd take the other one but when I got home I noticed the rust. As was already mentioned ,it must have been stored or on display outside. I plan on being there when it opens first thing tomorrow. Not a great way to start with a new mower. I'm not being unreasonable an I ?

5. one man gang

from N. In.

They supposedly were delivered today from Wright.

6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Why didn't you look at it before you got it home:confused: :confused:

7. one man gang

from N. In.

Good question, the first one was cleaned before I got there and I figured the other one was just dirty. Couple that with the fact that the owner was waiting after closing time so we just threw it up and took off. Of course I'm kicking myself now for not inspecting it but thanks for making me feel worse(LOL)...(not really)

8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

You have a very bad example here.

There's a quote that goes around the trucking industry.

Chrome don't get you home.

Meaning you can have a bright shiny truck, but if it ain't running on the inside, you're not making any money.

Well??? What's your example?? Your bright shiny "new" mower took a crap on the first strip.

What about the one with "a couple of rusty nuts and washers"??? You're working with that one, right??

Get to work, make the money. IF it's that big of an issue, tell your dealer to get you the $2.64 worth of new nuts and washers....

9. one man gang

from N. In.

Well I didn't run this one but I'll tell the guy to save it for you cause I sure ain't takin it. I'm not taking a mower that is already rusting. It's not just washers ,the axle is rusting and the hydro pumps have rust. If you want to pay full price for a(outdoor) display model be my guest.

10. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

my brand new mower snapped a belt on the first day too, needless to say i was pissed. i never even concidered a new mower, i took it in, they fixed it. the mechanic said some belts do have cords sticking out and its not all that uncommon. yeah i was mad, but i didnt moan and complain because ultimately its not the dealers fault and he went out of his way from the moment i called and told him. then at about 50hrs the main gasket went on the engine of the new 33hp briggs. again, not his fault, when i called him he immediately ordered the gasket and paid for the overnight UPS and my mower was done first thing the next morning.

how does the old saying go, you get more with honey than vinegar?? perhaps you should go in and be polite but explain you'd rather simply have your first one fixed so he doesnt get stuck with a "used" mower on the floor so he is not out. tell him you realize its not his fault. this will help build a relationship with him so when it does break he will hvae a positive image of you and try harder for you. the service will be more valuable than you $2.50 in shiny washers.