Brand New...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CincyLawnCare, Jan 1, 2003.

1. CincyLawnCare

CincyLawnCare LawnSite Member

I just wanted to take a chance and say Hi to everyone. I have been browsing this board for about a week now and finally singed up.
    Me and a buddy are in the middle of starting a lawn care business and some of the info I have read from here has really helped. It's nice to know there is a place you can come to with questions with people that will help out.
    Anyways, I just wanted to kind of thank everyone for indirectly helping me out with some questions and ideas I had..
    A little background information about me and the business to give eveyone an idea of where I'll be coming from in the future.
    Adam is a high school buddy of mine that has been running a crew for a landscaping company for 5 years now. My name is Mike, I currently am a store manager for Vavoline. We both see the potential in this business and would like to capitalize on it. We are both 26 and very dedicated to whatever it takes to start a business. It's funny cause everyone is like, starting and maintaining a business is very hard and very stressfull. Well I can't think of the last time I left my shop to come home and wasn't worried about what was going on. Last month my store profited 7K. We both think it's about time we started making what we make our current companies off of our hard work. So to me, it's worth the head ache and risk.
    Anyways, so far we have put together a one page brochure. We are going to hit the higher end neighborhoods to start for a marketing test to see if we can get enough business to make it. I also decided, after reading a thread earlier, to put an ad in the cincinnati enquire. We are mainly going to market lawn cutting (cutting, trimming, edging, and blowing) for $50 up to .75 acre. We will offer fertilizer programs, mulching, aeration and installation of: patio pavers, privacy fencing, concrete slabs and sidewalks. Our idea is to be the complete solution for anything needed on the outside of someones home...
    The only problem we have run into, is picking a name for the business. I drafted the layout with content for the brochure. So all we need is the name and I can get them printed. BTW, we will be probably mail box stuffing to begin with to save some cost of postage. We figure this month and next will give us an idea of what kind of business we can drum up. We will offer 1 year contracts and a discount if people pay their contract upfront before march 1. That way if people take advantage of the discount, it will give us a little more capital to work with... Any suggestions or ideas that you think may help, I would appreciate. Sorry about the book I just wrote :)

2. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

3. CincyLawnCare

I didn't know that. Our home association people use to put flyers in mailboxes for the monthly updates and information... Thanks for the tip, I appreciate it.
    We have all the tools and the only equipment we have yet to get is the 2 commecial mowers. We are still looking around for some good deals. Depending on how much business we can get lined up over the next 2 months, will determine what we buy.

4. CincyLawnCare

Other than taking an ad out in the news papers, what else seems effective to draw new customers?

5. CincyLawnCare

what about putting up signs in the areas you want to target. For us, our target neighborhoods will be the higher end richer ones. There are so many that have homes of 300k and up it's not even funny.

6. HarryD

7. HarryD

signs

well I know in my city there is a ordinance that they must be so many feet from the road . and they have guys that drive around and take them down if they see them . so dont spend alot of cash on road signs

8. CincyLawnCare

Road signs:
    Yea I figured the only hitch to the idea would be having permision to put them places. I know there are always home for sale and open house signs at the corners of highway exit ramps... I figured there and maybe near subdivisions.

9. HarryD

I think flyers and brochures in the areas that you want to work is also a good idea . hire some of the kids in your neighborhood to help ya hit some houses on a Saturday . I myself plan on doing that this spring . also if you plan on doing any commercial work try going and talking to property management companys and see if there taking any bids for 2003

10. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Why just 1 yr contracts? JUst set them up on a full contract or mowing contract and cary it out year after year. Freind of mine lost a lot of work by assuming they didnt want him next year.I assume they thought he went out of bussiness and found someone eles.