Brand of oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BufalinoLand, Apr 21, 2001.

1. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

I use Kendall oil, cause it goes on sale down the street, anybody use any off brands in their equipment
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I used Penzoil for years, but after getting a second diesel, I switched to Shell Rotella T 15W40 diesel oil. It can be run in gas engines also, so this way I can put it in both diesels and my Kohler also. I had some lifter noise at start up with 10W30 oil in my 22 Kohler Command, but now I have none, so the thicker oil seems to agree with it. :)

I am still using 30W Penzoil in my Kaw on the 21" mower, since I had some left to use. I probably will stick with it since straight 30W is recommended for it.
  3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I use Wolf's Head, a premium motor oil, in my Kohler 15 hp. Using good oil is very cheap insurance (as well as regular oil changes and regular filter changes). Saving a few pennies on oil is not wise, IMHO. My Kohler has run 5 seasons (approx 600 hrs/season) and shows no signs of wear.

I've also felt the same about oil in my personal vehicles. In 40 years of maintaining my own vehicle engines, using good oil, I've never had a problem that was related to lubrication.

I'm not sure how national Wolf's Head brand is, but you should have it in your area.
  4. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the oil advise!!
  5. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

I use MOBIL 1 in my 20HP Kolher. I use Husky XP Premium 2 cycle in all my hand-held equipment.
    I don't believe in the K-Mart or Wal-Mart brand of oil, you don't know what's in them. My advice is use a BRAND NAME OIL and you shouldn't have any problems.
  6. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

I use Mobil 1 Synthetic. It has a "CG" rating which is for deisel and is also safe to use in air cooled gas engines.

I have been using Echo 2 cycle but would like to switch to a Synthetic. I ran Synthetic Outboard Oil in my last boat (Itaska, made by Quaker State) and it smoked less and seemed to run smoother and quieter.

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I use Vavoline in the engines and Shindaiwa 2 cycle in the gas tanks.
  8. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I use castrol HD in Kawi - Exmark, and Mobil 1 in Hydro pumps.
  9. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

The cheapest they've got - Trak Auto brand for the mowers and truck. And Stihl mix for the 2 cycle. Never had a problem.
  10. Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder LawnSite Member

I use John Deere Turf Guard 10W30 in my Kawi's