1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Brand resale value????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Jan 28, 2007.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

What brands of ZTR's and WB's have the best resale value. Seems like Scag, JD, Exmark hold it well looking at used equipment. For some reason Hustler doesn't seem to sell as well (Maybe just a brand recognition thing). So what brands do you think have the best or worst resale value?
  2. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

From what I have seen they all sell for around the same price used.
  3. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

big names will give you a higher value, however, it's all about looks.

I've seen guys sell used walk behinds and get like 800 bucks because they look beat, but have been well maintained and are in great shape.

I've seen guys get 1500 bucks for the same machine that looks good, but is really poorly maintained.

When selling used equipment, expect the worst. We stopped selling used equipment at our dealership. I refused to sell anything used without going through the equipment and making sure everything is functional and safe. By the time your done, when you calculate cost, you can't make any money on it. Especially when guys want warranties. I tell them if they want a warranty, buy new.

But the big names will always help. Exmark, Scag........you have a better chance of selling PERIOD over brands like Hustler, Ferris, Encore.

Reasons like.....they have never seen anyone using those brands, there is not enough dealer support for those brands........or the whole ego thing where everyone is running a Scag or Walker, I don't want to be caught dead with something else. Sad, but True.
  4. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

yeah ive noticed, say john deere, their little 717 ztr mower, used, lots of hours and still on ebay 29 bids and $4600 or something for a 2yr old model. Then a Ferris model better than mine, water cooled, much bigger/badder and suspension than the john deere, $3000, reserve not met and 4 bids with half the hours of the deere etc... you get the drift. I like john deere stuff, i do really, but its too expensive for what it is new and used especially.

I plan to get a 3720 or 4720 deere tractor, with cab if i have funds for that:dancing: and would ONLY buy it new, for 30k i get no scratches, brand new, all mine etc, used could have 800hours, beat up looking and 25k? blah. I looked at two used at a dealer this past year, and only a couple thousand less for "RENTALS!" at that, people beat all up on these things with 300 hours and still 22k for a 26k new machine. AND you didnt get deeres 0% for 36 mo financing either for a 1yr old model:hammerhead:
  5. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

We have had very good re-sale values with our exmarks, even with 1500hrs +
  6. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

That is one reason why I bought a Scag over Hustler this time. I have no doubt I will be able to sell my Tiger locally or ebay for $5500(paid $8500) w/ 1500 hours so that 2 years use for $3000. The Hustler paint is not as durable as Scags... most of the 3 year old Scags on ebay look great... where as a 3 year old Hustler at 1000 hours looks worn. My personal opinion is that the Scags are a much heavier built mower than the Hustler.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

It's really all relative to where you are located, what time of year it is, and how long you are willing to wait for the right buyer or the right trade-in offer.

As a whole though... I'd have to agree with Willofalltrades....
    Most everything sells for around the same used... on average.

If you have two machines, both well known in the area, both are in the same condition/same hour range.... the selling price isn't going to make a flip about the brand name.

I believe most guys are just throwing money away paying the premium for a certain brand name.... because most don't keep them long enough for it to matter... and thus take a beating when they sell or trade in.

Most also live with the mentality that it doesn't matter because it's a tax writeoff. :dizzy:
  8. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I disagree Envy... I determine market value by ebay. Scag and Exmark seem to have the highest value.

Aren't all manufacturers about the same price now?
  9. Charles Odell

Charles Odell LawnSite Member

I trade my 797's in at 2yr's old. I buy them for 9800.00
    use them 2 yr's The dealer give's me 6500.00 trade in
    reguardless of the hours on it.I have been doing this
    last 8 years with the same dealer I don't haggle on
    price of same mower year after year. We both know up front
    what I am going to pay and he knows what I want
    for my used one!
  10. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Not related to mowers but looking at a new skid. Probably bobcat - local guy - used one with 1500hrs he wants $22K - doesn;t have the bobtack, extra stuff, new - get the controls I want, heat, air, cab, seat, whole pgk for $26K. This a S185 - S205 model. To point why go used.

Mowers for me - I have been lucky - sold them all outright. People have this perception that I am commercial cutter with all TORO - they have to be good cuz I run them. I have guys come to me in the spring wanting to know if I am selling any - I usually sell at least 1. So I do think brand does make a difference - but maybe it the location were all in as well.