1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Brands of dethatchers

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Gr8WhiteNorth, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking for a pull-type detatcher that is built a little heavier than the box store versions.

Any ideas on where to find something like that?

2. mtmower

mtmower LawnSite Bronze Member

Look at JRCO. They make a nice rake. If possible get and use a front mount so you can pick up the thatch with your deck as you go. Saves you a third pass over the lawn.

3. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth LawnSite Senior Member

Good concept. I am also looking for something to rake over fresh seed bed that i could pull behind a quad (large areas 1 acre +)

4. mtmower

mtmower LawnSite Bronze Member

Agri-fab makes some equipment. I'm not quite as impressed with the quality of their products but they may have some options.

5. Fawcett

Fawcett LawnSite Member

I like my Walker Dethatcher, its made me some good money last fall and this spring. I also looked at the JRCO units and liked them a lot-they were just a bit more $$

I really like having the Dethatcher in front of the deck, it makes things much easier

6. Rick13

Rick13 LawnSite Senior Member

I bought TurfEx and they have a package called Flex Hitch. They sell a package called Thatch, Groom �N� Sweep package. You get a front mount (48" for my 60" ExMark), a hitch that moves up and down and sideways, dethatcher, broom (48") that fits the flex hitch, and they sell a spreader and sprayer that will fit the front of your zero turn mower. The spreader and sprayer is not include in their Thatch, Groom �N� Sweep package.

I like the dethatcher a lot, but usually I talk my customers into aeration since it breaks up the thatch, loosen up the soil, and promotes new grass growth.

But I am looking to see how much the sprayer and spreader would cost...just not sure yet?

Here's their website: http://www.turfexproducts.com/

Hope this might help some.