Brass ground stakes

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by desert night light, Jun 27, 2006.

1. desert night light

desert night light LawnSite Member
    from AZ

Are you using the cheap flimsy plastic stakes supplied with some fixtures or are you upgrading to solid brass ones?

2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

what are you using?

3. desert night light

from AZ

F/X but there plastic is not cheap and flimsy I was referring to unique and others.

4. Pro-Scapes

If im not mistaken here (and I have not used unique) but BQL lighting is the same as unique ?

I have seen the BQL lights but have not used them. The plastic stakes seem ok for an area they probably wont get hit in. I wasnt impressed with the stakes on RSL lights at all.

I would probably specify something more solid in an area where they could be a problem. I like the heavey bronze stakes that come on the cast fixtures. Just gotta watch em in places area lights might be bumped thats why I upgraded to a heavy duty stake on some new orleans lights we installed.

5. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

When it comes to ground stakes, you guys can keep those skinny bronze, brass or other. I use the Kichler stakes on all brands of fixtures. They are large, wide and very sturdy. I have'nt seen any other stakes that are even close.

6. Pro-Scapes

You think the nice stakes that come on the cast bullets are undersized paul ? I cant recall if i have seen a kichler stake yet. I didnt have a problem at all with most of the Cast stakes I used except for one going into loose ground and in a high risk for bump area..

7. desert night light

from AZ

In his eyes

Non lvlia member= no good, boycott the product and trash it to others
    lvlia member= best thing since sliced bread.

That's the cult they got going on over there.

Better not be around when the kool-aide is handed out.

8. NightScenes

I case anyone is wondering, Kichler is not the only manufacturer that is a member of the LVLIA. Do I prefer to do business with manufacturers that are members? Absolutely!!!! I do business with companies that prove that they are interested in the well being of the industry in which I make my living and feed my family!

Here is a basic physics statement. Wider is more stable. The Kichler ground stake is a full inch wider than the others that I have seen. I also like having the gap to feed the wire Through. The others, you have to thread it through a hole.

Here are the ground stakes used by most manufacturers with the measurements. This is not rocket science.

P1010085.JPG

P1010086.JPG

P1010087.JPG

P1010088.JPG

P1010089.JPG

9. NightScenes

More stakes. These are the Kichler stakes. This is pretty easy to see.

P1010090.JPG

P1010091.JPG

P1010092.JPG

P1010093.JPG

10. desert night light

from AZ

brass and bronze is better than plastic more times than not. I'll take the cast stake over the kichler plastic every day of the week. You give a fixture with that long narrow plastic stake a good kick (like the gardeners like to do) and you'll be headed for a call back. Try breaking the cast stake. Good luck. Do you think steve parrott doesn't know what he's doing?