Brass nozzle wetting pattern

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Tom Tom, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

5512 brass nozzle. 11' chalk circle. Looks pretty good to me. I'll try a 10' H plastic nozzle later and see how it compares.

DSC03969.JPG

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Well you're just a real go getter aren't you? Busy all Sunday and this morning doing your analysis of the nozzles. :) Good job.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Two down, and four hundred or so to go.

4. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

haha...........

actually sunday, should have played 18 instead

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like it is falling well short of its rated radius, close in watering stinks, and most the water is ending up roughly around 30-60% of the arc. Hardly the DU I would expect from the highly revered brass nozzle that dwarfs all other nozzles on the market, and falls way short of the spacing some people have been saying is possible with brass, that is if you care about DU.

Curious, what is the pressure at?

6. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

actually that nozzle looks to perform very well

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Would that close in change if the head was buried?

8. DITTO.......... This is one reason i don't like risers. It ruins the close in watering. Having said that brass performs far better on a riser than plastic.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I would expect it to. That looks like a 4" pop to me, so the performance you see there is what I would generally expect if using a 6" or 12" pop, or if used on a riser.

TomTom, I'd like to see some plastic nozzles tested as well as some of the MP Rotators if it is not too much trouble. :)

10. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think we're getting anywhere unless the heads are brought closer to the ground. The XPCN test was with the head over twice as high as RB suggests and uses in their data sheet. Kind of the same here. I know some use risers for beds, but if you're going to test and evaluate DU, I think you have to do it with the head at the proper height -- at least in how it relates to turf.