Brass Valves

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by londonrain, Oct 24, 2007.

1. We will be installing two master valves on a system we maintain.
    My plan is reworking from the back of the 1" meters to the backflow preventers and from the backflows to the 1 1/2" brass master valves all in 1" soft k copper.
    Anyone had any experience with Rain Bird 1-1/2" brass valves?

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I worked with them years ago..damn good valve, had a external bleed which
    was cool for flushing, but no good for manual firing...I'd think RB would have
    the solenoid re-configured to attain internal bleed. I'd pull the bonnets & look for pitting at the seat, in which case, the valve is worth scrap metal.
    Can diaphrams still be obtained? Weather Matic 8000 good retro.:)

3. Keen

Keen LawnSite Member

I have used the GB and EFB-CP models quite a few times and recently I have installed the 2" EFB-CP-R at a reclaimed water site. Never any problems, they look like they could hold up to a direct nuclear hit, my guess is that they will outlast the rest of the system.

If $ was no object I would use them all the timeĀ…

4. Mike and Keen, thanks for the input on the valves....I am looking for a valve that will withstand the day in and day out of opening and closing. ..I am open for suggestions on a real work horse of a valve to be used as a master valve.....
    My thinking is that the brass body would last longer than a plastic body....

5. Mike Leary

Anyone know if RB makes their own brass valves?

6. Mike Leary

You're thinking is correct Steve, on a large system that master valve works
    & works. Weather Matic 8000 series have been in my large mstr. valve
    systems for twenty years..problem zero. Superior makes a cool one too &
    Kiril was telling me of another company too, maybe he'll pop in. Having said
    all that , the Rain Bird is not a "#2" valve in any way.

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

My only gripe with the Rainbird brass valves is their changing the diaphragm (and bonnet casting) partway into their production. Replacements were different, depending on mfg date. I'd also wonder about the solenoid, if the valve uses the solenoid the DV's use (they used to get their solenoids from ITT)

Weathermatic 8000 valves, with the S24B solenoid might be my first choice, but I don't know if W*M solenoid woes have the possibility of reaching this top-end design.

8. Mike Leary

This could be London's problem..that he's got a RB w/parts available not.
    The WM S24B solenoid has been what made WM famous..until the bean
    counters got a hold of the company a few years ago & then we all crossed
    our fingers. Have had O problems w/ 21000 or 8000 series solenoids.

9. My only concern with Weathermatic is that none of the local suppliers stock WM but can order it form me. If I have a problem with a WM then the system will be down until a part comes in. The system is a community wide system and it irrigates over $17million in property...

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Just stock a couple of solenoids and diaphragms. From install, in my experience, the trouble-free life of a W*M 8000 starts at a decade, and goes up from there.

Rainbird does have their own foundry (all that ag stuff, you know) and both Rainbird and W*M use the reverse-flow design.