Break in period for new blower?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Busa_bill, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Busa_bill

Busa_bill LawnSite Member

Just picked up a Stihl BR600 and noticed there wasn't anything in the manual about being cautious with it when new. Just wanted to make sure I don't need to baby it for awhile. Forgot to ask the salesman.

Thanks,
    Bill

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

i didnt do anything special with mine... IMO it did use a bit more gas at first, but once we used it for a while it was fine. you're gonna love that thing! it doesn't sound it, but its powerful!

3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Just use it, but don't burn regular gas... use mid range or high test only

4. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Do yall recommend higher octane fuel for these types of equipment(blowers, trimmers, edgers)???
    I have a backpack blower that some gave me. Its practically new. It takes about 5 minutes of reving up before it can run at full throttle. If you dont rev it up and just try to go full throttle when its first turned on, It will shut off.
    Anyone else have this problem? Would higher octane fuel fix it? what have yall done?

5. Raven386

from CT

I think we used high octane 3-4 times, never noticed a difference in performance.

6. stevenf

So do all blowers require this warm up time? Ive cleaned out the carb but it didnt make any difference.

7. Raven386

from CT

I think so... with the stihl it starts right up, choke it get it started and by the time you get it on your back its ready to go.

8. stevenf

Are the stills your refering to 2 stroke engines?

9. Busa_bill

Busa_bill LawnSite Member

It's a 4 stroke that takes 2 stroke gas mix.

Not sure what blower you have, or if you got the paperwork with it, but the manual I have says there is a Winter Operation setting on the choke shutter for less than 50°F ambient use. I'm assuming this provides more choke for colder temp use.

Have you tried running it at partial choke until the engine is fully warm?

10. stevenf

I havent used it this winter. The warmup time is required during summer use. It is an Echo pb-610 backpack.
    It wont stay running when its on or near choke. It will only stay running on RUN.