1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

break in period for synthetic oil?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by djsp24, Nov 11, 2006.

1. djsp24

djsp24 LawnSite Member

Just a quick question, haven't asked a dealer but thought i would try it here.... Is there a break in period you should run your equipment (ztr's mainly) before switching to using a semi synthetic or full synthetic like there would be with a car? Just wanted to get some of your thoughts on this and when a good time to use synthetic would be? Of course it is going to matter on the machine so lets say a Exmark Phazer with a 19kawa motor. Any thoughts?
  2. MartinsMowing

MartinsMowing LawnSite Member

usually 5 hours break in on regular oil then switch to synthetic, make sure you change oil filter after 5 hours too
  3. Busto963

Busto963 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

MartinsMowing is right, use regular oil first, then drain and switch to synthetic or a synthetic blend.

The moving parts need to break in (read wear against other parts) before you switch to synthetic oil. Synthetic can almost stop moving part wear, but in a new engine that can lead to galling of the machined surfaces which is bad.
  4. djsp24

djsp24 LawnSite Member

thanks guys, will do and really appreciate the advice..... I figured there had to be some kind of break in period so I just wanted to ask, thanks again!