1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

break inperiod for tractor

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mike lane lawn care, Mar 16, 2006.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

hi, i was wondering what the break in perion for a new tractor would be. it is a simplicity broadmoor with an 18 HP kohler command commercial engine. what is the engine break in? what would the hydro system break in be? is there any certain way to break in the mower to ensure longer life?
  2. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

take a look in your owners manual..it probably just say to change the oil after the first 5-10 hrs..
  3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Most of them run 5-10 hours, change the oil and then it is just regular seasonal maintnece. Did the dealer run it in and change the oil before you took delivery of the machine? Most dealers will do that to ensure the machine was broken in the correct way and what not.
  4. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

the machine was tested and serviced before it was delivered, it had 1.0 hours on it when they devlivered it. I have just changed the oil (4.5 hrs.) because the hour meter flashed to do so. but my main concern is the hydro system. i had a hydro go twice in less than a month on my old mower, and want to make sure it doesn't happen again. thanks J & R
  5. toddnks

toddnks LawnSite Member

My Cub Cadet dealer's mechanic said that the hydro oil filter should be changed at the same time. (5 hours).

He said that the filter will catch any debris and that will get it out of the system.

There is nothing in my owners manual about it.