Breakdown of actual times for lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ECS, Mar 29, 2006.

1. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Here are some actual numbers that some of you may find useful or interesting, especially some of the new people who want to know how to charge. These figures are for mow, trim and blow only. They do not include any spring or fall cleanups. The below are actual properties that I do. The average time or hours to do each of them is based on one year of actual times divided by the number of cuts. This is why you can not charge by the Sq Ft or by the acre. Take the first two on the list. Same size property, right across the street from each other and one takes 30 min. more to complete. Take a look at the 9th one down, 260000 sq ft and takes 3 hrs to do, and I also have one that 3.5 acres that takes the same amount of time.

square foot breakdown.jpg
  2. 24ON48OFF

24ON48OFF LawnSite Member

It may help some if you post size of your crew and equipment used. These things would factor in also.
  3. ECS

crew of one, just me with a 52" Exmark LazerHP, Craftman 21", which only gets used an hour a week, and a Shin. trimmer.
  4. Big Salmon

Big Salmon LawnSite Member

Hey ECS. I like your style. It seems like your into doing a great job for your people, while also enjoying the wilderness of Wyoming. Thats the great thing about working in Minnesota...There is always a lake to cool off in the summer, and good looking swedes at the pool your mowing around!
  5. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I put together an estimated time chart of all of my properties similar to what you posted. This year I will calculate the time spent on each visit for better accuracy.

It really helped to break it down by each property to see which properties were more profitable than others and where I might need to charge more.

Good post for the new(er) guys.
  6. ECS

I am going to track them again this year to compare with last year. I have also set a goal for each property this year. If I can meet the time limit goal on each property, I will be pleased. I am also tracking the time spent for every little thing I do on each property this year like spring clanup, going to the dump, fall clean up, trimming bushes, mow only, trimming only, blowing only, weeding and other misc. tasks. I am looking to increase produtivity and to see where I can improve. This will be a great help for future pricing on new properties.

In my original post, I did have a typo and can not edit it now. I typed this.
    and it should be this Take a look at the 9th one down, 26000 sq ft and takes 3 hrs to do, and I also have one that 3.5 acres that takes the same amount of time.
  7. 24ON48OFF

24ON48OFF LawnSite Member

Looks like you are making pretty good time! Thanks for the info.
  8. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Great info, but I have a question for you. Why the fluctuation on your times? And why say that you can't charge by the Sq Ft.? Are you refering to a flat rate? This is how we bid:

I price everything on square footage. I know how many sq. ft for each piece of equipment per hour. I measure the turf and get a total. Then depending upon what size of mower we specify, that will dictate how many hours per occurance it will take. Then I get the average time of weedeating, blowing etc. All this info helps me evaluate the pricing and formulate a budgeted amount of manhours to produce a job.
  9. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Nice work. I will do a table this year also and post.:waving:
  10. ECS

Some properties are much more difficult to mow and or trim, depending on the shape of the lawns with all the berms, trees, streams, ponds, gardens, ect.......... A perfect example is the one I pointed out above, 26,000 sq ft, or 6/10 acre, that takes 3 hrs to do as compared to another property that is 3.5 acres, over 152,000 sq ft that takes 3 hrs. also. With this much difference per property, as it is shown in the picture above, it is unreasonable to be able to charge per sq ft. When I give a price, I pretty much know by looking at it how long it is going to take me and price a flat rate accordingly.