breakdown of materials

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mcdow, Jun 2, 2014.

1. mcdow

mcdow LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

I have a customer who gave me a verbal commit 3 weeks ago on a new install on new construction. In last 3 weeks they have changed theirinds on numerous things. I submit the final numbers to her today and receive an email from her asking when I would be bringing by a detailed list of materials with their costs. She can't be serious. I have never done that and haven't heard of anyone else doing it either. I think she is fishing and is gonna be a major pita. Does anyone even give a total price of materials to their customers? Just wondering.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

price shopping against Lowe's or HD materials.....

3. ColliCut Land Mgmt

ColliCut Land Mgmt LawnSite Member

Could be using the line-item pricing request as a way to get your list of materials, so she can do it herself or hire someone cheaper? Problem is, that's your design, not hers, until she pays.

Tell her that until the project is funded, your list of materials is proprietary information, though you'd be happy to divulge the information ahead of time upon receipt of a 10% non-refundable deposit.

How big of a job are we talking here? Dollar-wise...
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. mcdow

mcdow LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

That's what I'm thinking. A little over $5,000.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Ask if she wants to see your insurance bills, fuel bills, equip bills too.

Seriously though, just say you dont do that. I never would.

6. mcdow

mcdow LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

I did email her and told her I don't do that. She said OK I was just wanting to look up his to care for them. I said no problem, I give a plant care sheet to you when I'm finished. Now they want to change to stone from mulch!!!! Please let me finish quickly.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

I had someone do something similar

I gave him a price for a garden wall 121 lf ft, mulching whole property and cleaning out back area. Then he added another section of wall. Came out to 4k

Emails and tells me he only wants me to do wall and clean out back area. But added another 50feet of wall

Email him another invoice that had the same price. Because of the longer wall. So he emails me back and said he wants a price for labor, materials, etc

I just told him look you're wall is $22 a foot which includes labor materials etc. The back I'm throwing in at a reduced rate. I cannot do this any cheaper I have a certain amount of money I have to make regardless. If you want to add up all my bills for running a legit business be my guest

Still waiting to hear back from him. It's been a month since we started pricing this lol
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

not no, but heck no.

Just tell her that you get special pricing based on your volume and vendor relationships, and your pricing is actually trade secrets, you don't put those prices out there like that because competitors could get a hold of your pricing structure, and shop your prices, creating unfair competition situations.

So as policy, your accountant doesn't let you do that.

Im sorry, my price is my price, if you want to go with us great, if you don't…I'm sure there some other great guys out there that can do it too!

9. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

yea I hear that.

10. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Just give her a detailed description of the work to be done. NO BREAKDOWN PRICE! Show her some before and afters of your work on various projects. I'd walk personally.