breakdown of your hourly rate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassmasterswilson, May 2, 2011.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Anyone care to share their hourly rate break down? From what I can figure out mine is 20% profit, 50% labor, and 30% equipment expense. I am anticipating a 2 man crew with me included in that labor percentage. Sound about right?

2. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I don't do it that way.

I figure what I need to make for the year.....less expenses.....and divide by wks I'll work......divided by how many hours/wk I plan to work to arrive at my LCO-type work hourly rate (which is different from my main bus. hourly rate).

LCO work is about 20% of my business plan. If I don't fill the allotted hours.....that's on me. So far - So Good. I have all the LCO work I can do (in the time I've allotted for such).

3. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

I have never even actually broken down my hourly rate into % of profit and if someone could give me a formula. I'm guessing you take the total amount and what you brought in and figure it to what % is profit and do the same with labor. Just unsure the equation for figuring percentages lol

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I take all the money my customers give me.

5. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

lol I want to figure my percentages but all I know is it's guuuuud!

6. orlawncaresvc

orlawncaresvc LawnSite Senior Member

Here is an example of how we usally do it.
    Formula for 6hrs of work=5guysx$35hr/ea=$175x6hrs=$1050x4weeks=$4,200
    Formula for 6hrs of work=5guysx$10hr/ea=$50x6hrs=$300x4weeks=$1,200

7. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

thanks guys. I've done very well for a solo guy in the business. Now i'm thinking of adding a full time guy. I also just got engaged and will need to provide for my family. I'm trying to do the math and see if I can afford a second guy at the same price rate I am now.

8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Nothing will really change. You just need more work to compensate for the added expense of a employee.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The answer to that question is likely NO.....your profit margin is going to go down when you add a second person,