Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GodsMan, Jun 22, 2006.

1. GodsMan

GodsMan LawnSite Member

:cry: Do you ever feel as though you're spinning your wheels. I have been having severe headaches when I get in at night. It has become hard to think straight and although I have plenty of work lined up I cannot focus. I feel as though I am going insane....maybe its the heat:hammerhead:

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Are you drinking enough?
  3. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

this is a good question, last year i didn't drink anywhere near enough and had horrible headaches in the summer. then i wised up and rarely have any serious heaches.
  4. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You arent drinking salt water are you?
  5. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Are you wearing ear protection? How are you holding your equipment? Are you mowing scrunched over because mower handles arent set up properly for you? Assuming your not a Z. Does your urine have the "Midas Touch"?
  6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would take a few days off if possible and drink drink drink. It sounds like you are not getting enough fluids! Good Luck!

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I was talking about the hydrating kind-- not the DE- hydrating:laugh:
  8. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

i would say living in florida it would be hot and the other lads here have said get that water into you .some times a day here and there is required to re hydrate yourself .another question to ask yourself is are you biting of more than you can chew at the moment
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I do think you may need to drink more water, at least 1/2 gallon a day but really a gallon. Force it at first if you have to, I would say 20 ounces per yard you service, make it a part of your routine to down a 20 ounce cup of water before you start every yard you service, enough said.

As for the tires spinning, your prices are too low. What I would do is slowly and carefully raise them but please be careful because it's late in the year to start over, I recommend as follows:
    - Leave your current customers as is, maybe ask (and I mean ask) a few here and there for an extra 5 for the heat or something. I find when I ask, out of every 10 I say something to, 2-3 go for it while 1-2 frown, so again you have to be careful.
    - Raise prices by $5 / hour OR $5 / cut. Don't mess with the 2.137506709 penny ante crap, $5 / hour and be done with it but not more.
    - ALL new customers get quoted the new price, no exceptions.

So then over time things improve.
  10. GodsMan

GodsMan LawnSite Member

Once again, I thank you guys! I have been in this business for several years yet it seems it is the simple things if neglected can run us into the ground. I don't drink as much water as I should. I normally drink a gallon a day but haven't done so lately. I spend most of the day traveling from job to job making sure materials are on site and that crews are taken care of. It is easy to forget about yourself. Just another day in paradise. Thanks again!;)