Breakfast for your workers? $$$$$

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by bluediamond, Jun 21, 2006.

1. bluediamond

bluediamond LawnSite Member

Just sitting here with a calculator... in shock. After your crew is rounded up- do you stop for breakfast? We stop every morning- and they are on the clock- it takes about 20 minutes every morning to get to the deli and get everyone's order. This is alot of money every month!!! We're not buying the breakfast but- 3 guys, at least 6 days a week really ads up just in time. Have you ever figured this out? My husband tells me that all landscapers do the same thing. What do you do?
  2. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

If it gets them to work on time it might be worth it.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

On the clock? NO. Occasionally, I would foot the bill as a treat for the guys, but I'm not paying them to eat it.
  4. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

can i come work with your crew?
  5. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

6. Mowpower

Mowpower LawnSite Member

Ever read the kids book "If you give a Mouse a cookie"? Next they will want a blanket for nap time halfway through the day. Come to work on time ready to work that means eat at home.
  7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

You pay people to eat? Can I come to work for you?:waving:
  8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

think about extra 10 minute break equates to about one week of work by the end of the year....

Our union policy says that lunch starts @ 11:15. so that means if you want to buy you lunch you get in line at 11:15 not go get in line at 11 and then come to break at 11:15....This is so hard to get across to the guys....They aren't the ones looking athe budgets.....
  9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

10. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Most ******** thing ever. Eat at home and weather you do or not you better not be complining about it and work.

I had this one guy tell me that its his right to sit in macdonalds for half an hour that I had to drive him there and back on the clock. I fired him, just pulled over and told him get the **** out. What happened was I needed a socket set and I told him I would drop him off at a yard but he asked me to go and get him something to eat at macdonalds so I said lets just take half an hour off. He no he could just eat in a truck. Going back and forth a bit I told him we taking half an hour off because I'm not going to pick up anything at maacdonalds (I hate that food) So I drove him through the drive through, I was watching the clock, then he ate in the truck while I went shopping at canadian tire for a socket set (one of my mower wheels was falling off). He had a half hour break. But he figured he should have been on the clock, then he told he has the right to work as fast as he wants or as slow as he wants and we'll see how fast he works now, lol. thats when I actually told him to get the **** out of my truck.
    Dropped off out in the boon docks. Apparently if he's not sitting inside macdolads it don't count, lol. I phoned the temp labour place so I will never see that idiot again.

Don't ever baby workers, soon as you do then its expected of you. I'm learning this the hard way.