Breaking $250,000!?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J Haugner, Jun 28, 2004.

1. J Haugner

J Haugner LawnSite Member

Breaking $250,000!?

The year is just about half over. Who out there is breaking over 250k or more a year in gross sales?

I know this is a meaning less number unless other factors are in place such as number of employees and expenses such as, assets, materials, insurance, ect.
    But it does start breaking into the barrier of ‘critical mass’ (enough money to do more, very important or crucial stage). Actually according to the SBA it is now 1 million dollars.

I have been in the business about 15 years and find it tough to break $200,000 with an average of 3 employees and myself. We cut lawns/maintenance 50% and do installs50%. We even sell Christmas trees in December. Jan and Feb are our relaxing months.

Just want to know what is realistic in this biz.

Maybe someone is doing $150,000 by themselves?
    Breaking $250,000!?
  2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm breaking a percentage of that
  3. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

250 is my goal this year, I,m a little behind. Maybee 200 is more real this year.
  4. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

What is the Exmark lc lazer you refer to in your signature line?
  5. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark liquid cooled lazer
  6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I fall just short of 150 for the year, working by myself.
  7. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

We broke 250 by the first quarter of the year. But that is counting install and maintain.
  8. lawnjockey51

lawnjockey51 LawnSite Member

Avery, how large is your business in terms of employees? Do you do mostly lawn maintenance? or installs?
  9. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Employees is far from a constant number. Right now I have 12 full time but could use 4 or 5 more if I could find them. Always having to replace ones that quit for whatever reason.

Installs bring in the most $$$ but we do quite a bit of maintenance. Commercial only.

We run three crews. One is install only, one is maintenance only and one is sorta a punch list crew and does whatever is needed. My maintenance crew leader quit a year ago. I have been unable to find a replacement for him so I am stuck running the crew for now. Getting kinda old working 10+ hours a day six days a week.
  10. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

we should break 500k this year with 12 guys... but my bottom sucks due to new purchases.... sometimes i'd rather be out doing 70 lawns myself........