Breaking Ground 81 Lot Sub

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cp, Oct 29, 2001.

1. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

Just started cutting the roads on an 81 lot subdivision. Trying real hard to get the install on the sod. Don't want to bight off more than I can chew.

I'm going to try and get the finish grade and sub or work out a deal with a local nursery to install the sod to begin with. Also working on getting a guy for the irrigation.

I'm doing the maintenance for the builder's office property and they have told me that I will get the maintenance for the common areas of the sub.

I figure that with winter coming I should be able to pick up some extra work..Any comments or suggestions. Thanks.
  2. cp

Aw come on guys, isn't there anyone out there that fools with this kind of stuff?
  3. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

What's to suggest? Sounds like you've got the situation figured out. :)
  4. cp

Maybe I'm a little scared that I may be missing something big and don't want it to blow up in my face.
  5. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

How's your cash flow?
  6. smithsonmi

smithsonmi LawnSite Member

Sounds good, just remember once the association is handed over to the homeowners, they could have no allegiance to you and will quote out the common area maintenance. However, that would be a few years out usually before there are enough homes to hand over the association.
  7. cp

Sorry for the late response, my mother was in the hospital..

Cash flow, Paul, What cash flow??????????:D

That is just that I'm trying to pick this up to keep me going instead of doing odd jobs or pick up stuff. I don't always go about things the right way and if I can't line up enough work then I will not start this now.

I appreciate all the replies.
  8. Stephen

Stephen LawnSite Member

I think Paul's point was that you are thinking of taking on quite a big job- are you prepared to bill every thirty days with terms to get paid of 30 to ninety days? That could lead to being paid three months after you initally started work with those three months as accounts receivables still outstanding too.

A wise old man once said don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Do you have the help to service your existing customers at the same time too?

Just some food for thought, because it all looks good on paper.

9. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Most builders pay on a 30 to 90 days bases, from their pay out date, so if you invoice on the 21th of the month and his pay out date is the 20th you'll wait 30 day to 90 days depending on how his accounting staff works.
  10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Developer are famous for put their subs out of business. 1. Cash Flow the check is always in the mail 2. Give us a good price because we will give you lots of work until some else under bids you or george's cousin is able to do the easy work now that you done all the grunt work. 3. More than one developer has gone bankrupt.

Good Luck