1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

breaking in a new diesel engine

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by svlandscape, Oct 12, 2003.

1. svlandscape

svlandscape LawnSite Member

I just bought a '04 F350 Super Duty with the 6.0 Power Stroke Diesel engine. It is my first diesel engine so I want to make sure I break it in properly. Any suggestions?
  2. G-father

G-father LawnSite Member

Most guys don’t care about break-in anymore. As soon as they get the equipment home they “run it like your going to use it”. However, I feel that it is a good idea to give your equipment some time to set in. Especially long lasting truck engines.

First I would take it easy on the gas pedal. Just accelerate slowly for the first 500 miles or so. During this time always vary the speed (engine speed especially). During the next 500 miles push the engine harder on acceleration but continue to vary the speed when driving (no cruise control). For the next 500 miles drive like normal but do not pull any heavy trailers (over 3-4 thousand pounds). After 2000 miles drive it like you stole it!!!

If I were you I would change the oil after 3000 miles and 7000 miles with good quality oil and then change over to mobil 1 10w-30 every 5-7 thousand miles. If you follow these steps and allow your engine to warm up and cool down after you run it hard your engine will last longer then the frame on your truck.
  3. Lawncareguy

Lawncareguy LawnSite Member

I would check the owners manual for proper break in on the new 6.0 Powerstroke but, I would say that after 500 miles or so to hook a trailer to it and go for a 500 mile road trip! Diesel engines normally need to be broke in under a load to properly set the rings. I took it easy and varied the rpms on mine until about 600 miles and then went for a long vacation with my 7k camper up and down hills in E. TN and ran it like normal. You will get cruddy fuel mileage at first but don't worry about it(you probably know this from owning the other PS 250) but the mileage will get better. I got about 8-10 mpg the first 500 miles 14-16 mpg at 5000 miles and finally 20-22 mpg at 10k running empty on the interstate(3.54 gears). I say hook a load to it and let the beast EAT! Just be sure and let the engine idle down after running it hard(Most people don't) this causes excessive wear on the turbo because it is not getting any oil after you turn the engine off and the turbo still spinning. The oil cools the bearings/turbo. I would recommend to change the oil at 2500 or so also. I run Rotella in my Cummins but considering synthetic after 100K.
  4. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

svlandscape,post this on the plowsite forum as well,they can give you good insite as well on the truck,i know ford is having real trouble with the 6.0 powerstroke,mainly dying on the road for no reason..
  5. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I just bought a new Mits. diesel and the manual said keep the engine under 2000 RPM's for the first 600 miles. Also, at 2500 hundred miles they had a 'free' service where they changed all the fluids/filters and greased everything up.
  6. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

Last year I bought a 2002 Ford F250 diesel crew cab, I had all of 98 miles on it, before I hooked it up the mowing trailer (about 7000 lbs) and went for a nice long trip. So far I have seen no i'll effects from breaking it in that way, my truck even seems to get better mileage pulling trailers than most others, I get around 17mpg pulling the trailer, and right around 20 without it. I would suggest that you read this article, then deicide for yourself on how to break it in

http://www.thedieselstop.com/contents/getitems.php3?Breaking in a Diesel Engine
  7. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Dodge/Cummins actually encourage you to hook a big trailer to the truck and do some pulling as soon as possible. That helps break the diesel in better, sooner. I'm not sure about the Powerstroke though, as it's not a real diesel ;) J/K - not trying to start any wars here again. I would assume the same - hook on and pull. The turbo is one big reason I believe in synthetics after 10,000 miles Lawncareguy. It will help the turbo run cooler.

8. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: NEVER< NEVER< NEVER use cheap diesel fuel, buy from a repeatable dealer, exxon,mobil,hess.
  9. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Let the Engine "flutter" during the break in period.

By this I mean make sure you bring it right up through the rev range (don't drive it like a grandma) in each gear but slowly so the engine will flutter (don't plant it!). This will make sure your engine dosn't get a false sense of power/torque in a certain gear as this break in period is when these new engines with computers store alot of the info.
    Don't thrash it........Just let the thing flutter right up the rev range in each gear.

As I said you want the computer to store all the right info at this all important time in the engines life.
    This will also help with the fule economy with the engine.

I've broken in a few diesels this way and I would recomend this to anyone with a newie.

Also if you are going to be towing more than 50% of the time I would suggest what "Randy J" said.

Just remember this is when the engine will suit it's self to your driving style.

BTW: Has it got an "Intercooler"
  10. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

there is no such thing as a break in period for a diesel.You drive it from day one the way you are going to use it every day, if not a little harder.Oh yeah,I hope you have good luck with the 6.0.There reputation isnt very good.