Breaking into the landscape end...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by eggy, Oct 21, 2001.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

We have been providing residential and mostly commercial mowing service for about four years now. We have devolped a strong repution for quality qork in the area. Now I am looking to start to add some landscaping services however.....Our knowledge is not very much when it comes to plant idenification and landscape services...What would you reccomend to start off selling n to help us progress to a proffesional level , that we have achevied with the mowing end?

2. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,

I would recommend starting very slow into the construction side. For some reason, people who mow seem to think that construction goes hand and hand with what they are already doing.

I do not see it that way. It is a whole different world, and must be considered as a completely different business. Granted, you have some of the equipment and do have a good starting point with clients, but it is a different ball game.

Starting small is key. Maybe start with small planting jobs, and work from there. Don't go jumping into larger projects. At least if you mess up on a small install, you will not lose your shirt, or reputation. Eventually, you will learn all the tricks and gain the know how, but it does take time.

steve

3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

My suggestion is two-fold. Start by offering color rotations of the flower beds. Then offer enhancement services where you replace a few failing shrubs or re-do a bed that is no longer attractive. Secondly, educate yourself regarding proper planting techniques, appropriate plant materials for various situations, plant culture requirements, plant ID and basic design concepts. This education can take various forms. Purchase a copy of the planting standards recommended by ALCA. Take time to really look at plant material at a local nursery/garden center of good reputation. Consider taking a few courses at your local community college. And, of course, READ, READ, READ.

Steveair is correct-- don't start constructing hardscapes without the proper understanding of them.

4. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys, what i dont want to do is jump into the landscape end like 75% of people around here with no knowledge, or true skills.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

eggy

Start by just replaceing plants. Do not jump in over your head.
    Follow Lanelle & Steveair advise. Prudue Unv more than likely has a plant selector book for Ind, buy it. Also buy a compass so you know right where the sun comes up and goes down. Morning sun is better for flowering plants. Learn the watering and soil needs for the plants around the one you are replaceing so it will live. Buy a mositure meter and a pH meter. Any thing will look good the day you plant it. Will it look good next year or 5 years???????????? Read Read Read Read Good Luck

Ric