Breaking the News?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by akerr, Oct 22, 2005.

1. akerr

akerr LawnSite Member

How did you approach your boss about going out on your own? I have worked for my employer through college and three years full time since I graduated. He is an unbelievable craftsmen and horticulturists. We have a great working relationship. We only do installation so my boss set me up with alot of his clients doing the mowing maintenance. I do this in the afternoon and on the weekends. My boss knows I have my business set up (state registration, business account, logo, etc...) He is very supportive of what I am doing and this makes it tough to leave him, but everyone I talk to tell me I need to do my own thing to establish my company. The other tough thing is I am the only employee right now. Their use to be four guys but one by one they left because it wasn't what they want to do. I have thought about asking him if I could work three days a week starting in the spring. This would give me three to four days to do my own work, but seems like I am chickening out. Need some advice.
    Thanks for your time
    Adam

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like he is a good mentor. Just be honest with him. Maybe he'll have some other ideas for you.

3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

If he really only does installs, why not talk to him about becoming a partnership? Create a "one stop shop" company for the clients. You head the mowing portion, he heads the install portion. If you're going to be doing just mowing I don't see that it would be any conflict with you leaving him if he doesn't mow anyway.

4. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

The thing is soon you will be bored of mowing and want to move on to installs and stuff. Then you will be stepping on his toes. Working with him still, while you do your own install will be a mess.

Matt

5. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

Instead of just flat out quitting what if you only maybe worked a few days per week instead of full time, that way you don't leave him hanging with no help.

6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Why don't you hire someone to cut the grass for your company. Continue to work for your mentor and have him offer maintenance, you have a built in flow of new accounts, you don't bite the hand that fed you, and you have a legitimate business, not like you just bought a job. I think you will make more money that way, its not as good for the ego but it is smarter. At some point in the future when your mentor sees you are capable of running a business he may just offer you a partnership or to buy him out. Many benefits to owning a business, many more to owning one that has been in business for many years. What happens if you get ill or injured who will cut the grass? what happens to the business then?

7. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

As the others said, work with him not against him. If hes a smart man then he would have always known you'd be more than an employee. My old boss runs a loader so when I have a job which is too big for my skid I always call him and vice versa. It works well. Cooperating and maintaining a relationship with the competition is always easier than competing. I have another guy who runs a mini-skid whom I pass jobs with low height clearance and he returns the favour when he's too busy or it needs a bigger skid.

In earthmoving running a network really helps out so I don't see your situation as being any different. Go shake the man's hand, look him in the eye and tell him your plans, ask for some ideas and above all thank him for sticking with you.

8. akerr

akerr LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the great advice. This first thing I should do is talk to him and see what his thoughts are on the situation and then proceed from there.
    Thanks again
    Adam

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly. And forget the "partnership" idea. This is for several reasons. Anyway, you have worked for him for this long. Leaving him hanging is not an option, although I don't think that was what you're intentions were. You will no doubt have to atLEAST finish out this season for him. Talk to him now, though. This will give him time to think about it, plan ahead, and come up with a perspective of how to handle it for his next season's plans.