Breathing mask for summer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wolfsnout®, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I know what you mean. I have a 2 stage snow blower for my CUT, and I get covered with a ton of snow if it's powdery. That's my biggest reason for wanting them in winter, yet, as you noted, we haven't had any real snows for a couple years. It never hurts to be prepared though.

2. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Ordered my goggles yesterday...along with the liners for my snouts. Review will be forthcoming...

3. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

What's the deal with the liners?.... I didn't notice them or was too lazy to notice them when I ordered.

4. Valk

They appear to be an insert to help trap finer particles.

http://www.wolfsnout.com/allsport_liner.html

With leaf season nearly here, I thought I'd opt for the goggles AND inserts. I honestly have worn my Wolfsnout 95%+ of the time this year. About the only time I go w/o is RIGHT AFTER a rain. Otherwise, I know I'm doing myself/lungs/sinuses a HUGE favor. WAY LESS ticklers get into my nostrils...and that is a fact.

5. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

I've always wore goggles in dusty conditions because I wear contacts. I guess I'll try the mask without the liners, but will probably get them. My sinuses are bad enough that I take prescription strength singular year round. I'm just hoping this works out well.

6. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Hey Valk, let me know how the inserts work. I have had such good luck stopping dist with just the mask that I am not sure the inserts will make that much difference. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.

It was pretty cool here this evening while I was mowing and my snout not only kept the dust out, but kept my nose and chin toasty warm from my breath, yet never clogged up from moisture. I think it'll work great in the winter when the cold air usually has negative affects on my breathing.

7. Valk

I agree RG, these 'snouts do a great job. We can have some dang dry Novembers here some years, so I thought I'd best equip myself and be ready since I mulch EVERYTHING (sans one lawn).

I've used paper/cloth masks for years...and they certainly don't seal to my short-bearded face very well. And when it's cold and REAL humid...they get WET and turn into an accordion with each breath cycle. This was my main reason for getting 2 'snouts...though I think 1 would've done it. Still though, I like to alternate them at every stop fwiw.

A rubber masked dual filter respirator is probably the best way to go for dust...but I hate those things with a passion. They're heavy and mess up my purty mug. :jester: :eek: :laugh:

8. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Lord knows we can't go 'round looking less than top flight now. :laugh::drinkup:

Hey, if it makes you feel any better, most folks think that hiding my face behind the snout is a GOOD thing.:eek:

9. Valk

Wolfsnouts Anonymous!

10. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Just don't forget to take them off before going into the local bank, lest they think you're after this payup, and you end up facing this :gunsfirin