1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Brentwood industries wheelbarrow Q's

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Scagman 48, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Scagman 48

Scagman 48 LawnSite Senior Member

he guys just broke another home cheapo Jackson 8 cube duallly wheel barrow and looking at the brentwoods this time around. can anyone give me some feedback on these? thanks!

2. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

I bought my wheel barrow at Sam's Club three seasons ago. It has the wheels on the outside of the tub. I have had no issues with it at all. I paid $68 for it. I've had three or four hundred pounds of rock in it many times as well as more mulch than I care to think about. The best part is that it is so well balanced that you can drive it with one hand.:weightlifter:

3. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

I have 6 of them they were like $165 each I bought them for the same reason as you
    Wheel bearing all fall out even though I grease them I replaced most with flat free tires
    Screws still fall out
    Over all still same issues with cheap ones but no broken handles yet and plastic is better but the bearings get me
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Tri-City Outdoors

Tri-City Outdoors LawnSite Member

I have been on a search for a quality one my self. Every time I turn around I am buying a new or or fixing a old one

5. maelawncare

maelawncare LawnSite Senior Member

What about rhino lining a plastic one. Think that would make it more durable?

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Doubt it. Rhino won't add any strength, just weight and material won't slide out like you want it to. Just something else that doesn't seem to last as long as it used too.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. maelawncare

maelawncare LawnSite Senior Member

You can smooth it before it dries. So it would still slide good. I have a brentwood 10 cube one and love it. Just thinking of ways to make it more durable. Plastic only lasts so long.

8. ncknaklawns

ncknaklawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I was looking at the 10cu ft ones at Big Lots, My jackson 8 is still hanging in ther but had to put tube in. I try to keep it in the shed in the winter.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Wheel barrows are just like any other tool. If left out in the weather or abused, they will fail. The wooden handles on wheel barrows need to be oiled occasionally. http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.com/2009/12/what-is-best-oil-for-treating-wood.html Nuts and bolts rust. Fluid Film will help with that. Tires go flat. Flat free tires or Slime will help there. There are no chemicals or oils that will keep people from overloading a wheel barrow, you have to use common sense there. The wheel bearings will need to be replaced. If you must leave a wheel barrow out in the weather, at least flip it upside down, so the water doesn't sit in the barrow and rust it out even faster.

Maintain this tool and it will repay you with many years of service. Use it and abuse it and be prepared to replace it on a regular basis.

10. Scagman 48

Scagman 48 LawnSite Senior Member

good to know never really had issues with bearings just grease them and leave them alone