Brewing without a scope

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by GreenthumbGA, Apr 28, 2008.

1. GreenthumbGA

GreenthumbGA LawnSite Member

Is there some pointers on indicators of a good or bad tea's.

I think I am going to use all my free question vouchers before I get my brewer.

Thanks though..
  2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

You are definately in the majority of brewers

Smell is always a good indication and you will learn the smell and "feel" of compost teas in a while. The brew runs through a cycle and after several brews you will start to see a pattern. Its just one of those things you just have to do and get familiar with.

Most of all keep asking questions, have you perused the compost tea yahoo group? Pretty good info but a lot of politics

Make a 5 gallon version out of a paint bucket, air stones and a 39 dollar air pump from the local pet supply
  3. tadhussey

tadhussey LawnSite Senior Member

Here's what you need to consider in my opinion:

1. Are you spraying onto someone else's property or your own? If you plan on doing this commercially, I would recommend doing some testing, getting a microscope, or purchasing a brewer from a manufacturer who has done the testing for you.

2. What's your budget, and how much do you want to know about what you're getting in your brewer? If you're on a budget and go with a homemade brewer, I would use the "smell test" and experiment with some plants that you're not particularly attached to. If it doesn't work, you may need to adjust the recipe or go back to the drawing board. If you want to optimize results, you will need to do some testing or get a microscope.

3. When determining a recipe, remember that less is more. Most people put way too much micronutrient in their teas. Also, a good biologically active compost is essential.

Good luck!
  4. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Great advice Tad, they also have several kick butt brewers and food stocks

There's a new term "food stocks" WTFO
  5. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

just got done beating the bone heads in the general forum,oil consumers blech. back to some interesting folks:)
    smell is a good one to go with. but back up to the beginning, the compost or casts. good smells in the start? remember those? does it smell the same only stronger or "yeasty-er". and hows the foam on top, rich and "hearty" or is it kind flat and clear, is there heat from millions of herd multiplying? does your dog cat come near it or run??? go get some seeds, wild bird seed is cheap, soak a paper towel with tea and seeds and observe.
    no seeds bad tea, you should see almost all of them come up and "sprint to home plate" and there the lettuce test, two heads one tea the other sans tea, that's a blast to watch