1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

brick chips / sand stone pea gravel

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by gammon landscaping, Sep 10, 2006.

1. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i have an install to do this week. and under the back deck(4-6 feet off the ground) he wants somthing other than mulch or grass(won't grow). he wanted brick chips or pea gravel. i have priced it out and i can get pea gravel for 28 per ton, and brick chips for 80. i have never spread brick chips, so my question is do they go that much further. or are they just that over priced.

i know that lime stone rock is around 2800lb per yard
    i would think that the pea gravel would be close, but how would the brick chips wiegh out?
  2. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Use the pea gravel. It's much more economical for a location like that.
    I just got done putting in chipped brick mulch. It is lighter per shovelful than gravel and goes a little farther per ton but it's so much more expensive per ton that there is no real savings.
    But then, we pay $13.00 per ton for pea gravel and about $80.00 per ton for the brick.