Brick garden borders

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by jrlandscaping781, Mar 10, 2007.

1. jrlandscaping781

jrlandscaping781 LawnSite Member

What is the best way to install brick borders for a garden bed? Do you prep as if you were doing a patio or sidewalk using 4-6" of gravel with 1" bedding sand? Would you also use the plastic paver edging along both sides to help secure the bricks? I like the look of this type of border and would like to add it to my offerring. I just want to be sure I do it right to prevent any type of movement. See link below to illustrate

http://www.rd.com/content/openContent.do?contentId=17496

2. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

I set mine in a bed of concrete. That is only with natural stone though. Paver edging installs like your talking about I would do exactly what you suggested. We need the edging to be flexible in our climates.

3. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Concrete landscape curb would fit the bill.
    Lots of colors and stamps to pick from.
    No gaps for grass to grow through and smooth curves.

4. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

Been thier done that! Don't even get me started on the maggots from Orlando and the land down under. It ends up being more maintenance than it is worth. It's not exactly cold climate friendly.

5. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I always forget about that. We got frost twice this year. The crabgrass is still alive from last year.

What's up with the "maggots" from Orl or Aus?

6. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

It's a long story, but I used to be a K Kerb contractor. Lets just say all they care about is selling you the equipment.