Brick oven over fireplace help.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by alexschultz1, Jul 14, 2014.

1. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm trying to figure out how to put a brick oven above a fireplace. Can I tie them together or should I create two separate flutes. Any idea on how it will affect the flow of air? I'm stumped on this one.

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

So…you are trying to build one of the hardest things to do in landscaping (outdoor kitchen/brick pizza oven) having NEVER done one or trained to do it before?

are you dong this in your back yard or something?

no one is paying for this are they?

did you even TRY google yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqQbm_SVxEw

3. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

We haven't done one with a fireplace underneath, but we normally do a storage area for firewood underneath. I don't see why that same plan couldn't be altered to a full fireplace beneath. I would run a separate flu. Obviously the fireplace flu can't go straight up, because of the oven. I would run it angled up and out behind the oven.

4. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I get that it'll save cost having them within the same structure but man, that really ups the complexity. What's the reason for doing an over/under?

5. pdreibels

pdreibels LawnSite Senior Member

What a jerk
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've put in plenty of fireplaces.... So... Screw you? I've never had to reroute the flute to go behind something above it. Having done A LOT of chimneys I can tell you that the last thing you want to do is spend 6-7 days building it just to find out that it won't pull in air properly.

I changed the design anyways. We're going the safe route and putting it off to the side. It might not happen at all actually bc the wife doesn't have the same masculine vision as us lol.

7. SperaLandscaping

SperaLandscaping LawnSite Member

Just don't cook pizza while you have a fire going or you will catch your junk on fire when you Take your pizza out :)

8. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

I've had a few builds where space was limited and the customer has had interest in both, but had to decide on just one. This could be a solution to the problem in the future. Last hear we did a fireplace but the design had no chimney. We actually ran flue pipe out the upper back and had a fan to pull the air out. It worked very well. This was on a gas unit though, I don't know how it would work on a wood burning stove

9. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I'm currently working on a design for a large clay pizza oven. Mimicked off of a design in a restaurant in Florida.

It will be large enough to have both the oven, and to use it as a fire feature.

There is also companies out there with kits for both a fireplace and small pizza oven above.

Posted via Mobile Device

10. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

what, like an earth oven?