Brick oven over fireplace help.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by alexschultz1, Jul 14, 2014.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Ya, I'm leaning towards a clay oven. It's a project that is out there, but no hurry. I'm doing all my homework on the installation. Reinforcing it is the challenge right now.

Thinking of making a form, adding fiber to the mix, and a wire mesh. Our winters are extreme from sub zero, to a nice January thaw.

I've also considered doing
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

There's a book called Build Your Own Earth Oven by Kiko Denzer. It's way out there - this book is written for people who will seriously throw mud and straw on a tarp and dance on it barefoot to make the clay for the oven - but there's really solid info about how these ovens actually work.

Have you looked at any of the kits? We did a kit oven (dome) for one of my winery clients and they're cranking out 100-150 pizzas every Sunday. Cost was actually really reasonable and we were still able to dress it out to look like a big ol' stone oven.

3. White Gardens

Hmmmmm, I'll have to look into it more. I didn't think to go outside the box of our normal suppliers and think restaurant sized, which is what the client really wants. He wants to do 4 pizzas at a time, so it's a smaller commercial size I guess.

4. White Gardens

I started looking around, seems to be a few kits to choose from. I was thinking way to much on the side of hand building it. Looks like with the domes, insulation and a gap between your masonry and the dome, then your good to go to craft around it if need be.

Thanks

5. PaperCutter

The kit we did, I'm considering becoming a dealer for them because it's a good product and they're US based, so lead time and freight aren't a killer. If he wants to go with a better-known brand name (albeit with a price tag), Forno Bravo does kits too. PM me if you want me to send you the pics and specs of what we did. Definitely learned a few things along the way.

The one for my yard, I'm building from scratch because I'm cheap and I'll spend the winter cutting and stacking fire brick, but I think the kits are a great way to go for clients.

6. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Link to any of these kits? My neighbor wants one

7. PaperCutter