Brick Patios

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Landscaping Fool, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Landscaping Fool

Landscaping Fool LawnSite Member

HOW MUCH TO CHARGE FOR A BRICK PATIO JOB.

2. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

LOL! Give SOME kind of info, that is completely impossible without knowing anything.

I say $5.

Hank

3. Landscaping Fool

Minimal excivating simpe patern what sould i charge per sq. ft. Small amount of cuts.

4. mxrdrvr3

mxrdrvr3 LawnSite Member

what will the job cost you to do? how many sq ft is it? what is considered a small amout of cuts? what is considered minimal excavation?

there needs to be much more info here

5. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome to Lawnsite. Now, turn off your caps and lets talk pavers.

What kind of pavers are you using, clay or concrete? Is it in the backyard with lousy access or next to the street curb? Do you have crummy, unstable soil, thus needing a deeper compacted base? You really need to look at a number of factors to gain any idea about costs. If you haven't been doing these, its going to take you longer and you will have rental costs for equipment if you don't own the proper tools and equip.

6. DaveK

DaveK LawnSite Member

The price for installs varies a lot depending on what state you are in, and even from county to county at times.
    In Oakland county Michigan, for regular (not tumbled or "antiqued") concrete pavers (nobody here uses clay pavers) excavated for 6" base, average design, average pattern, moderate amount of cuts, not a difficult location, the going rate is $12 to $14 per sq. ft.

Wholesale cost of pavers - $1.95 to 2.33
    Wholesale cost of base- $18.00 per cu yd (about 42¢per sq ft at 6" depth)

If you need material delivered 'cause your truck won't handle the weight or you need to rent equipment to compact base or cut pavers, that would have to come out of your profit. 'Cause you can't charge more than your competitors simply because of your added costs. The same goes for the length of time it takes you to install them, you are paid by the sq ft, not an hourly rate.

You need to find out what the going rate is in your area, cause you can only charge what the market will allow you. You can't base your price on all your costs. The only thing you can base a higher price on, is the cost of more expensive pavers, or a very difficult location.

I don't know what the market for pavers is like where you live, but here the market is pretty good. There is good money in installing pavers, provided of course that you do quality work and lay them quickly.

7. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

DaveK -

You using slag sand?

I'm glad I'm in Wisconsin (formerly from Detroit area) for two reasons when it comes to base material:

Limestone is plentiful (no need to use materials with lead and cadmium in them), and

Limestone is plentiful (can be purchased for $6/ton or less).

And I know, nobody does clay there. I didn't, either. And it's too bad, because there are some nice colors and textures you can only get with clay.

As for Landscaping fool: You need to give us volumes more information - we've done jobs for as little as $6/sqft and as much as $17/sqft, and everywhere in between. When you have information like:

Site access
    Materials to be used
    Exact square footage
    Design

Then we'll have something to work with.

8. Landscaping Fool

Ok i see what you guys are saying. My cost of Oberfield concrete pavers is $2.30 per sq. ft. 304 crushed limestone costs me $11.85 per ton. I have figuered on a 6 in base. I just purchased a Stone compactor with 4000 lbs of encentrical force, 5.5 honda. Hey thanks for you tips so far.

9. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Recheck your paver costs, Holland stone here run $1.91, we're buying them for $1.71 or less.

10. DaveK

DaveK LawnSite Member

I know Holland stone is cheaper. I can get Holland stone for 1.55 cash price or 1.63 on account.

But I was giving average pavers at average cost. Around here that's LaFarge romanesque or Unilock classico. IMO Unilock is far overrated though, so I avoid it like the plague.