1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Brick & Sand Patio

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Rwise10230, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Rwise10230

Rwise10230 LawnSite Member

I'm quoting approximately 300 Sq. Ft. of patio with irregular shape, but primarily an oval shape with a 2 brick basket weave layout.

Including the sand, brick pavers.......all material and labor, what is the going rate for the completed job? Is there a way to check your pricing on a Sq. Ft. basis?

I'm in the Piedmont Region of North Carolina, so I'm not sure if the pricing varies substially regionally.

I'd appreciate hearing from any of you NC guys out there!

Check out this bitmap drawing for detail of the layout

Attached Files:

2. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

Never price your work at the "going rate". You need to price your work according to your rates, which are determined by your productivity, overhead, labor and desired profit.

Here is what I look at when I price a very small job like this.

First we use pavers, concrete sand and aggregate base.
    Pavers are sold by the pallet. 120 sf per pallet for holland stone. Therefore, I have to buy 360 sf plus delivery unless I will call them.

Aggregate and sand I figure around .50 cents per square foot.

Next I look at the access to the project. If there is a gate, what size is it. Can I get a truck and/or trailer close the the site. Can the pallets be set very close to the work area. If not that is an additional cost.

Then I measure the linear feet of cuts. I measure straight cuts and multiply that number by my rate. Then I do the same for curve cuts. Curve cuts have a higher rate. Looking at your drawing, you have a lot of curve cuts, which will also be double cuts. Double curve cuts is when you not only cut the field but also the soldier or sailor course, even a higher rate.

Then I add my oh and some other items I charge for.

Then I come up with a price.

3. Rwise10230

Rwise10230 LawnSite Member

Excellent information and thanks for the reply.

I agree with you not to price by the current rate. All costs are know to me in this particular situation. But.....curiosity is killing me on a comparable rate....that is, what would others charge for a patio of this design. And what really sucks, I cannot get my truck or trailer next to the site.....I'll have to park it in front and use the trusty wheelbarrow since this job is too small for a skid loader. No room for the skid anyway.

Now..you did bring up an interesting point.....I have laid patios before....but always at my choosing and always square so I did a minimum of cutting using a diamond blade and circular saw. I've NEVER done a curved cut. How do you go about this?
  4. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

Overdig your patio by about 12-inches. Lay out your basket weave all the way out including the overdig. We call this an overlay. Next, go to a home improvement store and buy 4 lengths of 10-foot 1/2 electrical plastic conduit and some sharpies. Now, connect them together and lay the around the serpentine edge of the patio. we place pavers on top of the pipe in places to keep it from moving. Once you have the cure you want, take the sharpie and draw a line along the edge of the conduit. Be careful to make sure you are drawing on the correct side of the conduit. This will mark all your field cuts pretty fast and accurate. Now, you will have pavers you'll need to remove because of the overlay. Next step is to cut the pavers and then install the perimeter pavers.