1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Brick Walkway/Patio

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by LazyWeekends, Jul 20, 2003.

1. LazyWeekends

LazyWeekends LawnSite Member

I am currently landscaping a property where I am doing everything except the hardscaping. I suggested that the customer should contract the hardscaping with someone else mainly because I have not done any hardscaping and did not feel confident in "trying out" my skills in this particular situation.

The hardscaping involves about 400 sq.ft of walkway and about the same area for a patio. The walkway and patio have already been concreted and now the customer wants bricks. They have been quoted a price of $8000 to brick the walkways and patio, which they think is way too high. In my ignorance, this sounds pretty high to me too.

So I got to thinking that maybe this is something I could do and save the customer some money at the same time. This is where you all out there can help me decide whether or not I should mess with this. I guess my questions are:

1. How do I go about laying the bricks and securing them to the concrete and what is involved?
    2. How long can I expect to take to lay a square foot?

I am probably missing some relevant questions so any extra information would be appreciated.

I look forward to help anyone can give. And thanks in advance.
  2. capital

capital LawnSite Member

Brick Paving pricing is based on what type of pavers your client picks out and what type of pattern they choose. I do about 90% residential work in the mid west so can not tell you if you can save them money. However I can tell you if you are approaching the bid with out finding out what your material and labor cost are you will be in for a a surprise at the end of the job regarding your profiit. Based on your total of 800 square foot of pavers, I would say that we would not do the work for the pricing you are talking about. In fact you will have a tough time due to the fact that I do not believe you will have the correct equipment to attempt the job. IE Saws, levels, chisels, also have you checked to see if the concrete was installed to the correct grade and thickness for patio work or was it set up for being the sidewalk and patio itself?
  3. LazyWeekends

LazyWeekends LawnSite Member

Capital, You raise some good points. I would need to find out what pavers they want. The concrete was laid for the purpose of putting down the brick, so I would imagine the specifications are right. I would be able to rent all the tools for the job for about $50 a day.

You are accurate in saying I would be foolish to approach the bid without finding out my materials and labor costs. That is the purpose of this thread - to try and get as much info as possible.

4. Peach

Peach LawnSite Member

800 sq ft. Our market says $9600.
  5. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it is a very reasonable price. $ 10 per SF wet laid, although the slab is already there - hard to beat.
  6. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like the same as around here too,$12 sq ft
  7. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

How do you guys command $12.00 a sf to overlay pavers on existing concrete. Depending on pattern and location, front or rear of house, we can lay about 1200-1400 sf a day easy with 3 guys. Maybe you don't do many pavers. It's all we do. Last week, in 4-days we laid 10,800 sf in a parking lot with 8 guys and a bobcat. We are getting 3.45 sf, which includes sand, pavers and us placing and compacting the base. You guys would have a difficult time competing in my market place.

Lazyweeds send me a personal email and I'll help you out.

Rex Mann

ICPI Instructor
  8. Alan

Alan Member

In this area the pavers alone will run over $3/sf. Your pricing wouldn't leave much for the rest of the materials and labor.
  9. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 LawnSite Senior Member

i agree with u man,
    when i said $12sf before that was to include stone,sand, and compacting too.just laying over concrete would be much less, but i still would charge much more then $3.50sf
  10. greenybeany

greenybeany LawnSite Member
    from PA

So what's your margin on a project like that Rex? I bet you'd make as much money installing a 2,000 sqft driveway at $10/sqft.

Given the same net, I'd take less work over more....