brick walkway pricing

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jsaunders, Oct 17, 2002.

1. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

Customer wants a brick walkway put it. Dimensions 55 ft x 3 ft with curve at the end going to front steps. What do you charge? I was thinking $5 per foot plus materials - Total $825 + materials. I was thinking I might have to rent a brick cutter. Any thing I'm missing or you can suggest?
    Thankyou Joel
  2. Mow&Snow

Mow&Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds alittle lite to me. Walkways are alot of work, and I like doing them, but only if I can make top dollar doing it.

I start at about 12 bucks a foot with everything included. I would bid that walk for 2 grand, then try to up sell them 4 or 5 hundred bucks on an upgraded paver.

Just my opinion. I'm sure you will get alot of hits on this subject.

3. Mow&Snow

By the way, what part of NH are you from? Or have I already asked you this?
  4. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

mow& snow -I'm in southern NH right on the mass border. I'm 45 mins west from Nashua and 30 mins south from Keene. Where in Maine are you? Always go to Maine to Vacation.
    I just met with the customer today and I have to give him a booklet on the different types/colors of the pavers-bricks.What is the standard brick that you use for the $12 per ft figure and what do you mean by the upgraded paver?
  5. Mow&Snow

I live in So. Berwick which is 20 min from Portsmouth and 10 min from dover. I work more in NH than Maine.

As far as bricks go, a basic brick is a plain jane .48 cents apiece clay brick. I like to use Bolduc pavers as an upgrade, but there are lots of manufacturers that have some nice looking ones.

These are nice...

6. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Just a few clarifications needed. Is there already a concrete walkway that you are going to mortar brick on to or is this going to be dry set pavers on a compacted base? Are you using clay bricks or concrete interlocking pavers? One of the things about walkways---there is a lot of edging to put in and usually more cutting so the unit price needs to be higher than for a patio.
  7. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

What were you thinking in the terms of sub-base? 55*3= 165 sq ft. $895/165 = 5.42 per sq ft. That sounds a little lite to me.
    Cheapest I have seen around here is $9.95 per square @165 = $1650 total cost.

Most importantly, if you can make money at that rate, go for it..

Good Luck..

8. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

heygrassman said it best - if you can make money on it, go for it.

Just keep in mind what you might be leaving on the table.
  9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Price aside, a 3 foot wide walk is a waste. It really needs to be at least 4 to 5 feet wide to have two people walk side by side, and/or to pass comfortably, even residential. Just something to think about.

Definately looking over $2000 for something nice.
  10. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

My estimate based on what you described:

55x3 = 165 sq. ft + 15% waste = 25 sq. more = TOTAL : 190 sq.

*Price for tumbled block (Techo-bloc) = $2280.00
    *Price for non-tumbled (CST, Unilock) = $1995.00

- I would suggest though bumping that walk out to a min. of 4.0', thats basically standard.