Brickman killing our market

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LocalTouch, Feb 28, 2004.

1. LocalTouch

LocalTouch LawnSite Member

Recieved a call from an apartment building owner. Needs price for weekly maintenance-mow, trim, edge, blow, bag clippings around pool. Partner and I walk property. Determine approximately 16 man hours of work. Excessive trimming, and edging. Submit weekly bid of $475.00. Left some room to tweak the numbers down if necessary. Owner almost flips out. Has a bid on his desk from Brickman Group, for get this-----$233/week. We obviously did not get the job. They did. I find it hard to have 2 or 3 guys at this property for a total of 16 man hours, and make any sort of profit at $233. I understand these enormous companies make this up in tremendous volume, but come on!!!! Look what that is going to do to our industry!
    Even if Brickman is paying their guys about $10 an hour, after payroll for this job, they are making $73. Without any gas or other expenses.
    Possiblility for additional services in non-existent. Maintenance guys do mulch, bush trimming, etc.
    They are probably going to kill our Snow Removal Market too.

2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Funny you mention this company. When I used the term "butchers" in an earlier post, these were the guys who I was talking about who did the apartment complex I lived in.

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe its just that it doesnt take as long as you think.

4. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

Who is Brickman are they a nation wide lawn service? There is a tan color truck and trailer rig in my area sign says Brickman nothing else no # or clue to their service but they look like a lawn service just have not seen what they do...

5. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

this is why we are a 90% residental . commercial work is nine out of 10 times always low bid. one thing for sure we are never lowest bidder. so we dont usually even bother, unless we already know someone on the inside and are specifically asked. alot of guys will tell you thats were the moneys at (commerical) but i will tell you were the profit is at...(high end residential)

6. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

US Lawns lowballs and does bad work also.

7. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

Strickdad I couldnt agree more, well said. Some guys seem to like the commercial it can be impressive looking at the right place but there is a lack of loyalty that bugs me what good is an account that will be out looking for the lowest bid next season. Not worth it to me....

8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

If you get the right commercial accounts they will stick by you. Especially when all the previous lawn co.s gave them crap service.

9. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

"Who is Brickman are they a nation wide lawn service? There is a tan color truck and trailer rig in my area sign says Brickman nothing else no # or clue to their service but they look like a lawn service just have not seen what they do"

I see the same thing here in nj.

10. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Their web site says 22 states so they are all over the north east.