Brickmen doing residential?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shade tree landscaping, Jun 27, 2008.

1. shade tree landscaping

shade tree landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I saw today for the first time a Brickmen crew doing a residntial yard, I almost fell out my window b/c I coulnt belive my eyes!! They were cutting grass on top of it, wasn't a landscape job or a clean-up. It was the first time that I have seen that ugly brown truck in neighborhoods. Are you guys in other parts of the country seeing the same thing? Have they been doing residentials for a while and I just never saw it before?

2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

ive never seen them doing res. have to fill the schedule somehow

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Sure they were not just mowing an employee's house? I've seen that before.

4. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

ive never seen them do it here, I didnt know the were outside of indy

5. shade tree landscaping

the house was well over a million dollar house, i am 1000% sure that it was not an employee!

6. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

you know they are about the second or third largest landscape company in america right? they are in more states then you can count on your hands and toes.

and for the record i think their trucks look sweeeeet

7. atasteofnature

atasteofnature LawnSite Senior Member

they are in 23 states and they do HOA's as well. They could of being mowing the branch managers house they make a good living or the regional manager's house. Each branch does about 2-5 million a year and in indy there are 6 or 7 branches

8. Keith Jr

Keith Jr LawnSite Member

9. shade tree landscaping

KEITH, the link is to a great story, for a great cause! I wish that my business was big enough that I could "eat" a few lawns for our men and women over seas, but I highly doubt that someone living in a million+ house is in the armed services. Although I could be wrong!

PICASSO the two tone brown is horrible! It looks like a UPS truck drove into a paper bag!

ATASTEOFNATURE If a regional manager or higher up at Brickmen is making the kinda money that is needed to own a home like that, ( million+ home, over $15k property taxes) I need to clean up my resume and get it o Brickmen ASAP!!!

Watch out guys, looks like they are making a move into residential, at least in central NJ, which means that they will do in residnetial what they did to commericial / HOAs

10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

As a former brickman employee I can say here are several possibilites but first and foremost it is likely the property of a board member or CEO or someother influential party tied to a large commercial account. It is not uncommon for the board to have their properties done as well, they just throw it in on the same contract.
    Another possibility is that they have just started a new "branch" in your area and they are taking on any kind of work they can get to justify the salaries and over head etc. They will eventually drop the resi's once the new brnach becomes established and they have their taret customers filling their routes.

Often a new "branch"is little more than a 4x4 4 door ford and a trailer full of mowers. IF the "branch" opening doesnt pan out, the truck just eaves the area and brickman dumps the employees. It is a low cost way to speculate an area of growth with no long term overhead spent or lost.