Brigg Vanguard 16 Idle trouble

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Toroguy, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a small idle question for Briggs Vanguard owners or any small engine genius's.

My 16 Horse Vanguard engine lopes at idle? I can remedy this by adjusting the choke to roughly 1/2. A hair either way from a half returns the engine to a pulsing or loping idle.

I have cleaned the carb, changed the plugs and air filter. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine does the same thing....it generally stops that once the engine has warmed up after a lawn or so has been cut. I dont know what causes it other than it dosent hurt it.....just move your throttle up until it stops.

3. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

You are correct.

When I engage the blades, and throttle up, the engine bogs until I open the choke full. When disengaging the blades and trailering it back up, the idle gets funny again unless I toggle the choke half closed again, or rev it higher.

4. Budman

Budman LawnSite Member

I would guess you are running lean because of a vacuum leak. Utilizing the choke richens the mixture, which smooths out the idle. One reason it might go away when the motor warms up is the metal parts expand when they heat up and close up the leak.

Make sure that the bolts that hold the carb to the manifold have not become loose.