Briggs 10HP bending push rods

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jeannewyatt, Oct 24, 2012.

1. jeannewyatt

jeannewyatt LawnSite Member

I have a 10HP little wonder blower that keeps bending the push rod. I always check oil before use and add if needed. It doesn't smoke and has great compression. I've changed the push rods twice and the head with new valves once and still have the same problem. Could it be a bad lifter? Any help or advice would be great. Thanks in advance.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. joe billy

joe billy LawnSite Member

One of the valve guides may have slipped in the head...usually on the exhaust valve.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. jeannewyatt

That is what I thought. That or a sticky valve. That is why I changed the head (intek motor). Any other ideas? Thanks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. 1Sharkey

1Sharkey LawnSite Member
    from STL

I had one do the same thing. I cleaned the guide and put some loctite on it and tapped it back into the head with a socket. Once in place a punch scored the area around the guide so it cant work back out. Its been if for a long time now with no more bent pushrods.

5. TempleLawnCare

TempleLawnCare LawnSite Member

before I have problems with mine, would checking the valve clearance from time to time help with this issue.......can't be that hard

6. TempleLawnCare

FML....was on a job before I posted last thread, machine stalled out, couldn't get it started, came home and said what are the chances........so I took the valve cover off and sure enough i broke a push rod......here are some pics....i found a push rod 45 miles away for $6.00...didn't seem to do anymore damage, can I just put a pushrod back in it, and it is drop in or do I need to retime it......any help is appreciated

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. TempleLawnCare

forgot to turn the gas on....then backfired when I tried to restart it

8. jeannewyatt

no timing needed when replacing push rods. just adjust the valves accordingly and should be ok.

9. TempleLawnCare

ok cool, how do I adjust the valves......I am gonna pick the pushrod up in the morning, your help is much appreciated

10. TempleLawnCare