briggs 12hp motor electric start

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by buster2, Nov 29, 2005.

1. buster2

buster2 LawnSite Member

Hi, any mower mechanics HELP!!!
    I have an older model briggs 12hp motor it has been going great!! until this morning.When I went to start it the muffler filled up with petrol.I took the muffler off & made sure that all the petrol was gone & checked the carbie & the choke had stuck on.I fixed the problem but it still would not start. I checked the oil only to find that it was really thin & smelt like petrol.Could this be the problem & if so what is the cause & am I able to fix it myself??
    Buster2.

2. ERIC ROBERGE

ERIC ROBERGE LawnSite Member

It sounds like the carb float is stuck down or has a hole in it . Either way it will cause fuel to freely flow from the tank through the carb into the cylinder. From there it will flow by the rings and if the exhaust valve is open to the muffler. It will also foul the plug and prevent it from starting. You may be able to dry the plug off,but you will probably have to replace it.

3. buster2

buster2 LawnSite Member

Thank you for your reply Eric, I will change the plug this morning & see what happens, will also check the float.Will I have to change the Oil as well? or will it be OK!
    thanks again
    Buster2

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

DO NOT START WITHOUT CHANGING THE OIL FIRST.
    Check the float and if it is ok you need to purchase a rebuild kit which will come with all gaskets and new fuel float valve. Clean the carb. good with carb. & choke spray cleaner then blow it out good and install the pieces from the kit. Also drain and clean the fuel tank out and replace the fuel filter.
    I suspect trash in the system that caused this problem.

5. buster2

buster2 LawnSite Member

Hi Restrorob,
    thank you for your advice have done as you suggested & all seems to be fine, hope that I may call on you if I ever have future probs.
    Buster2.

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Any time buster, My hang-out is the mchanic and repair section. When it's slow I do a little surfing.