1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Briggs 13.50 horizontal, can't get carb off

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Jay Ray, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

B&S 13.50 torque horizontal

Model 201332

Mounted on a small Bearcat chipper

Carb has never been off. I think it just needs cleaning.

Can't break the carb loose off the manifold and studs.

Have tapped it kind of hard with a brass hammer, and cut wooden dowels to try to tap it loose coming from the back side. Hasn't budged.

Afraid to put any more force on it.

I have removed the shroud and recoil by trimming the shroud very slightly to get it past the float bowl and off of the engine. Gives a little more room to work.

Any suggestions to get the carb loose? I kind of hate to double nut the studs to remove them when you can't see the metal at the other end. Have never had to do that before.

Anybody had this problem before and have a solution?
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  2. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

This engine looks new, has low hours.
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Jay Ray,

The studs hold the carb in place, If you notice the two carb studs require a reversed torx socket for removal, You can jam the nuts to get them out if you don't have the socket.....
  4. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

thanks Restrorob, and thanks for not calling me a hammer mechanic:laugh:
  5. Restrorob

No problem Jay Ray,

I'd never call you any kind of mechanic ! [​IMG]
  6. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I can't argue with that:laugh:
  7. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Set of Lisle torx external sockets came today and I removed the studs and carb the easy way.

Again it is a 13.50 Horizontal: 201332 0164-B1 080321YD

I think it is carb 796321, the float bowl has no drain.

The float and needle valve are carried by and sort of sealed off under a white high density plastic plate Briggs calls a tube-fuel transfer 69142. It is a couple inches in diameter and very tight, maybe cold-fitted into the bore in the float bowl?

Anyway, how is the plastic plate properly removed without boogering it up? I googled it but probably used the wrong words and got nothing.

Do I need to order a special service tool?

The gas was yucky and watery. Still think it just needs cleaning. Has good spark and starts on ether, but won't run.
  8. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Rob's probably tied up making some real cash right now and at the risk of taking some trash from him, I'll step in and try to fill the void.

Here's a link to your carb and I believe it's the same one referred to by Rob on another current thread "My mower won't start-Help", at least I believe that is correct. You may want to check it out.

Here's the other link:

By the way, the plastic fuel transfer is probably just stuck to the spider gasket--it's not attached by any retainers.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  9. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

thanks for that info. The spider gasket stayed on the bottom of the carb body.

There's two square holes in the top of the plastic fuel transfer that don't seem to have a function, so a used a pick set to try to break it loose, no luck.

The long center hole in the plastic fuel transfer is just over a quarter inch diameter, so I tapped it 5/16-18NC with a taper tap and got nine full threads not bottoming out on anything. Put a 5/16 eyebolt in, pulled hard as could, no luck. Maybe they did freeze fit it with dry ice:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Maybe it is blocked, sealed, and suction locked. It looks like air has access, but can't see deep down.

My next idea is to drill the bowl, break the suction, disassemble, clean, and J-B Weld the hole back up -- using a collar stop shallow on the drill bit of course.

But think I'll wait to see if Restrorob has a better idea before doing that. So far I haven't bought a new carb (I hope).

All this to clean a carb:laugh::laugh::laugh:
  10. Restrorob

Well Jay Ray,

You haven't bought a $85/$100 carb yet......

There is no suction on the transfer tube, I've had a couple stick on me but enough hammering and prying got them out. Do whatever you need to get it out then replace it along with the main jet and o-ring.

You may try warming it up with a heat gun/hair dryer then try prying/pulling it out.....