Briggs 14.5HP

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by itteitj, May 20, 2006.

1. itteitj

itteitj LawnSite Member
    from RI

I have a B/S 14.5 HP with 285 hours on a Husky 44" riding mower. The engine hunts at low RPM and seems smooth at full power. The engine has a backfire at low RPM. The engine seems very loud and you can hear the one cylinder sound when running full. Nothing major has ever been done to this machine. Is this an electrical or fuel problem. What should I look at first and what adjustments should be checked? The spark plug is new as is oil filter and air and fuel filter. Thanks

Tom

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well you can start by reading the top thread of this forum then post some numbers so we can see exactly what you have.

3. itteitj

itteitj LawnSite Member
    from RI

The engine id plate is partially obscured, however here is some data. 14.5 OHV IC quiet. Type 1278e1. The model number is gone. It is a vertical shaft type engine. Do you require anything else?
    Tom

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Guess We will have to wing it, First thing would be to remove the carb. and disassemble, Blow all ports and passages out with a good carb. & choke spray cleaner (not Gunk brand) then blow out good with compressed air if available. Then reassemble and that should take care of the lean running hunt at idle.
    As for the noise, Is it more of a rattle ?

5. itteitj

itteitj LawnSite Member
    from RI

The noise I refer to is probably just the engine characteristic and is definitely not a rattle. I will clean the carb today and let you know how that works out. Thanks for your help.
    Tom