Briggs 18 twin

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by RedWolf, Sep 23, 2006.

1. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

Hey guys. I have a briggs flathead twin (422707)(1522 01)(9306245A) and what it does is every month or so it locks up.I check the oil and its fine and i change the oil every 50 hours.Once i get it free it will fire up and smoke lightly for about a min then clear up and run fine till it does it again. What do you guys think is going on?:confused:

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If there is no bottom end noise once you get it running again I believe I would pull the heads. Check for excessive carbon build-up on the pistons and heads as it could be breaking loose and locking it down. I have ran across this a couple times on these older L-heads.

3. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

could he that the cylinder is fillled with fuel (carb needle seat) or oil (sump overfilled) does your oil smell like gas? next time it happens remove both plugs and crank over. first see if this frees the engine then see if any fluid blows out the plug holes.

4. Restrorob

ALWAYS make SURE you ground both spark plug leads before doing this or you could have a fire on your hands.....

5. khouse

restrorob, good tip.

6. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

Thats the funny thing.The oil doesnt smell like fuel and when I get it free and turn it over the cylinders are bone dry. I will check for carbon and will let you guys know what I find.:waving:

7. khouse

maybe you have a bad sement on your comutator. have you checked the starter armature?

8. Restrorob

Since you brought that up, It could be a worn starter gear hanging in the flywheel.

9. khouse

that's right restrorob.

10. GearHead_1

GearHead_1 LawnSite Member
    from Utah

If this happens when running, I too would suspect carbon has built up on in the combustion chamber. It gets hot, expands, touches the piston and the engine shuts down. I've seen this happen a lot on the old 5 h.p. L Head Briggs motors and once on the same motor you have mentioned.