briggs 19 hp fuel pump trouble

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by weedwacker59, May 23, 2007.

1. weedwacker59

weedwacker59 LawnSite Member

:confused: i have a b&s 19hp i took apart the carb and gave it a good cleaning....and i replaced the springs and all in the fuel pump.. but i believe im not putting the springs back in the right place (fuel pump)....is there any ideals were i might see a picture of the fuel pump on the internet, etc.... any help would be great. thanks.....:

p.s. M# 42a707 type 1251 code 9509085B

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You mean something like this ?

[​IMG]

Oh, Welcome to LawnSite !

3. weedwacker59

yes ..just like that.....i cant Thank you enough Restrorob ....

BUT....i put it all back togather just like the picture...i also used a dab of grease to hold the springs in place ...everything went back together perfect.

BUT im still not getting any gas to the carb.....i can pour gas in the carb and it will start up right away....till the gas runs out.....any other ideals????

4. Restrorob

You didn't by chance put the fuel line from the tank on the bottom inlet did you ? I have seen this quite a few times.

5. weedwacker59

no.... i have the line from the tank going to the side ....and the one on the bottom going to the engine block...ive checked all the basics.....just not puimping gas.....i know i have the fuel pump done right ....i just dont get it....maybe i should take it to a pro....*trucewhiteflag*

6. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

IS the line from the block well sealed? NO leaks!
    Fuel line air locked? Does gas drain to the pump?

7. Restrorob

Or listen to a pro ?

These carbs. are simple, Just need to check a few things.

Did you replace the fuel filter ?

How many times did you put fuel in the intake and try to start it ?

If the tank is mounted in the rear of the unit and you installed a rebuilt empty carb it can take a few times of adding fuel in the intake to get the pump primed and bowl filled to run.

Other things to check;

Remove the fuel line from the carb, Loosen the gas cap and see if you can blow back through the line. I have seen big bugs, leaves etc. clog the outlet and not let fuel pass.

Remove the top of the carb and hold up-side down, The float should be just a little higher than level. While the top is off and with the fuel line re-connected and both plug wires dis-connected and away from any metal covers HOLD a rag just above the lower half of the carb and bump the engine over QUICKLY and see if fuel pumps out of the hole in the carb closest to the fuel pump.

8. weedwacker59

i have primed it maybe 8 or 10 times or more.....the lines are clear i even replaced them with new ones today just in case their might be a leak somewhere i couldnt see are hear..and also replaced the fuel filter

when i prime it ..it will run for a few seconds and then die...right away i pull the line off the carb and it is bone dry.

:hammerhead:

9. Restrorob

Just a re-cap;

Fuel in tank
    New fuel lines and filter
    New pump to crankcase (impulse) line
    Fuel lines connected to fuel pump properly

Remove the impulse line from the pump and hold your finger over the end lightly while cranking the engine over. You should feel the impulse ?

Did you perform the check below ?

If so go back into fuel pump and see what isn't right, These diaphragms can be installed up side down in which they will not pump. I have seen the flaps in the diaphragm move to the side of the port during assembly also.

If you have fuel supply and engine vacuum the only thing that will keep this thing from pumping is the diaphragm and springs.

10. weedwacker59

ok...just came in took top of carb off like u said....fuel is pumping though hole......warning !! dont look over top of hole while turning engine over.....float seams to be right, etc.....