1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Briggs 2-cycle Powered Toro Snow Thower Electric Start Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by SYE!Tom, Feb 10, 2010.

1. SYE!Tom

SYE!Tom Banned

Have a Briggs 2 cycle powered single stage Toro Snow thrower. Sounds like the electric starter drive gear is stripped (Engine is 084232-0121-E8 model). Anybody have this problem or can lend any ideas?
  2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

If the electric starter motor will run but fails to turn over engine then yes it is likely a failure of the starter bendix--either it is stuck so that it will not engage or the bendis is stripped. My info shows the starter drive assembly as part #801293.

I was unaware that Toro had moved to a Briggs 2 stroke. Most likely due the shutdown of Tecumseh. Don't have any knowledge of the new 2 stroke but I have worked on some older ones and they were a piece of crap.

About the only way you're going to find the problem is to remove the starter. Having not seen any of the new machines, I am not familiar with the configuration so I can't offer any help in disassembly.

3. SYE!Tom

SYE!Tom Banned

Thanks for the feedback. Seems like a stripped gear because it makes a sound like turning the key on an already running engine when I push the start switch.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Depending on how much the starter costs it might be possible to just replace
    the gear, either way I think it's looking like you're going to have to pull it.
    The starter, that is.
  5. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

If you remove the top cover, you will see if it is stripped out. If your model is similar to the older models with Tecumsehs, it will be very obvious whether it's stripped or not. This was a common occurrence on the Tecumseh models.