Briggs 3.8HP on edger

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by PJDiesel, Oct 21, 2007.

1. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

Being the master mechanic that I am, I took apart the throttle/governor assembly on this edger and can't remember how it went. It's an older (95?) Craftsman model, can't seem to find any briggs #'s on it?

There is an obvious spring that needs to keep tension for the return to idle, the other one (I thought) went to the governor arm TOO, but then I can't adjust the throttle speed.....?

If it would help I can post pics, it "should" be pretty simple though, one rigid rod, one small rod with a spring that attached to the governor arm........

Any ideas? A schematic or exploded view would have me up and running in 5 minutes flat.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well PJ, There are a few different throttle control assemblies for this engine.

Have you looked on top of the cover near the center by the spark plug or on the side away from the carb for numbers ?

May be quicker if you could post a couple pics of this assembly.

3. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

Ahh, Rob. You probably remember me from last spring with my nightmare Turf Tracer......
    Guess while I have your ear I might as well tell you what my symptoms were before the disassembly.
    It will run just fine, as long as you are constantly pumping the primer....... Just dies after that, something clogged? Soak the carb for a while, hit it with some compressed air? Any ideas?
    Here are some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Restrorob

It's just as I suspected PJ, That's a Tecumseh engine. :)

The bowl nut has a whole going through the side of it just below the threads and another hole dead center on the end. This bowl nut is actually the main jet, Make sure it's open with no restriction.

Here is the carb link hook-up;

[​IMG]

Here is the control link hook-up, BUT install this link from the bottom of the hole as if the control plate was mounted. Also make sure both link rods or the spring does not interfere with each other;

[​IMG]

Good Luck....

5. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

Geez, see what I mean. I got all flustered fooling with it, don't even know what brand it is......:rolleyes:

6. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

Okay. No run.

When I hook it up that way it is like 3/4 to full throttle all the time, that sound right?
    Off is off, there is a ground contact for that.

7. Restrorob

Hmmm, The control plate has slots in it. It's hard to tell from the pics but looks like the plate was pushed all the way toward the air filter, Is this where you have it adjusted at now ?

8. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

Nah, that was the way it was sitting, there weren't any bolts in the top at that point.

Now, it is back to running, but only when you have a helper pumping the primer bulb.....?

Whats that about?

9. Restrorob

Have you done the above ? If so dig the below plastic cap out and remove this jet, Use a single bristle from a wire brush and make sure the hole in the tip is open. Spray the (cough) out of this port with carb & choke spray cleaner with the straw then blow it out good with compressed air.

Are you trying to run this unit with the air filter on ?

[​IMG]

10. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

I will do the above today. I have tried to run it both with the filter on and off, mostly on.

I didn't realize there was something up in that hole, I can imagine it is gunked up (stored with old fuel for about 3 years).

I'll report back, thanks Rob.